imafan26
Mod

Dry farming to get the best taste from tomatoes?

While researching the tomatoes I want to try this year, I came across a few articles that said that regional differences, the presence of diseases, soil and watering all determine what the best tomatoes are going to be in that area

I can see that. I have had success with some tomatoes, but the best tasting tomatoes were not the most productive , nor the prettiest. I cannot grow some tomatoes at all because they just don't survive long enough to produce, while I have some very productive tomatoes that no one would want to eat.

I came across an article about 'dry farming' tomatoes to improve flavor.
What is dry farming?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Here's an article that ran in my local paper a couple of years ago. A farmer who sells dry-farmed tomatoes described her methods.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for the link Cynthia, it was really helpful.

I guess this won't work too well for my container tomatoes. I think I can try to reduce watering at fruiting to concentrate the flavors more. I actually water the tomatoes more when they are in production.

LodiLapp

Yes when you cut back the water toward the tail end of ripening they do become much more flavorful, my grandmother taught me that when I was really young. I too have not tried it in potted tom's but it works great for in ground, we shall see with my container gardening this year.

MichaelC

imafan, you simply must visit California or another area with a climate for and an interest in dry farming tomatoes, during the late summer. They are all over the farmers markets here. Early girl tomatoes are kind of plain Jane in my opinion, tasty but basic. But my god, the flavor they demonstrate when dry farmed!

I prefer to maximize my yield, so I leave it to the professionals.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”