PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

"Litchi Tomato" not really a tomato

Hi,

Has anyone grown Litchi tomato? It is not a real tomato just in the tomato family. I had a few seeds and sowed some last night. I have been reading a lot of mixed reviews. Some say it is sweet, others say it it is tart. Some complain about the seeds when you eat it, and others say it is not a big deal. I even read one review that said it needs more than one plant for cross pollination. Now I am not feeling really excited about growing this plant. It is also very thorny so I have to think of a way to secure it and have it away from people and animals to prevent an injury.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Oh Boy! Thorny doesn't give it justice. It is quite the prolific grower with thorns over an inch long. I grew them last year and they grew great, produced tons of fruit but I couldn't find anyone who liked to eat them. They were quite the conversation piece but that was about it. I won't grow them again.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Did you grow more than one for cross pollination?

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I had 5 plants. 4 in the ground and one in a pot.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

How would you describe the taste? And what about the seeds?

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Very seedy... I don't know how to describe the taste... nothing else like it. Think of a tomato with a little sweet and sour mixed in. And, it is hard to pic because the base of the fruit has some big thorns. You can't pick 'em without gloves.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”