IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Heard of "Spanking" your tomato plants?

I ran across this video of someone "Spanking" their tomato plants to promote growth and fruiting. He rolled up a newspaper and swatted his plants from the bottom to the top. Does this process really work?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Seems a little excessive. If it is indoor plants, gently shaking the plant helps spread the pollen around to make sure flowers get pollinated. Also for indoor plants, either putting a fan on them or shaking the stems a bit now and then helps strengthen the stems.

If they were outdoor plants, there would be no reason in the world to do it. Nature takes care of everything.

webmaster
Site Admin

Nature takes care of everything.
:clap:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Funny you say that.

I rent my garden out to a Brazilain Martial Arts dojo. They use my plants as training dummys. They get practice my plants get pollinated. Everything comes up roses. :lol:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have read that abusing your plants will stress them and they will produce more fruit and get unripe fruit to ripen sooner. I think that is what the OP was getting at. I never tried it though.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

But really even in the oudoors I will give them a shake from time to time. Tomatoes as they are do not need much if any stimulation. But a little extra love never hurts.

When grwoing indoors I use an electric toothbrush to stimulate the flower into droppng pollen. Along with fans that does the trick.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”