englishpea13
Newly Registered

what is the best seed starting medium for tomato seeds?

what is the best seed starting medium for tomato seeds?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't think it makes much difference whether you are starting tomato seeds or most any other kind of seeds.

For starting seeds in cells/pots, etc, I just start everything in regular potting mix. You don't want (pure) topsoil/compost etc, because it is too dense, doesn't drain well enough.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

do you have better luck starting the seed in dirt or baggie or propagation?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Personally, I never bother with the paper towel/baggie thing. Seems like it is more trouble than it is worth. You have to monitor them carefully to know when they have sprouted and then you have to immediately transplant them into the potting mix. Why not just put them where they are going to be in the first place?

To me, the point of the baggie thing is as a viability test. If you want a quick way to know whether these seeds from three years ago are still any good, you can do that to test, see what your germination rate is. Save you from planting a bunch of "dead" seeds.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Incidentally, they sell special "seed starting mix" that is very fine textured and is sterile/ nutrient free. Seeds do not need nutrients to germinate, they come packed with them naturally. However, if you plant in the seed starting mix, then as soon as the seedlings have true leaves, you will either have to transplant in to potting mix with fertilizer, or you will have to start fertilizing regularly.

I skip that and just plant in to regular potting mix. It is a little bit coarser textured, but that never seems to bother my seeds any. And then I don't have to transplant at that stage and the fertility is already there when the plant needs it.

prettygurl

Seed starter mix. I tried the filter/baggie method recently with horrible results.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Seed starting mix is very light and allows the seeds to emerge and seedlings to root around easily. I have used potting soil too with good results.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”