sepeters

Which tomato varieties to grow in AZ (zone 9).

Hello! Any experienced gardeners in AZ know which varieties of tomatoes grow best out here? I live in zone 9 (some guides say 12...) and would to start seeds inside in the next couple of weeks to get them established before I put them outside after the frosts in Feb. They will be kept in containers, if that helps. And when is the best time to start them? Thanks so much!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Since you didn't get an answer, I would just suggest browsing through this Tomato Forum. There are lots of different threads on tomato varieties. Also look for posts from Marlingardener. She is in TX and has similar climate and issues to you.

I would think you could start tomatoes now, if you are doing the seeds indoors. I start mine in the second or third week of February to be planted in the ground mid-April. They usually say 8 - 10 weeks ahead of your average last frost date.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I agree. You would probably want to look for high heat tolerant varieties.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

Lots of tomatoes do well in the desert most people grow mid sized tomatoes determinate and around 80-85 days from transplant or cherry tomatoes. I sent several variety's of seed to a friend to field test at her nursery I hope a few do well before your blistering heat kills them. my nephew grows Celebrity and any of the early girl types he grows hybrids mainly but I am sending him over some dwarf heirlooms to try this year. Vilardi Gardens in Phoenix is really good with tomatoes and is who I would talk tomato with in the valley of the sun....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, MarlinGardener in TX says Celebrity is the variety she grows most.

BigDgardengal
Newly Registered

I'm in north Texas and I can tell you that Celebrity is a winner, as is Porter, although it is like a small, elongated cherry. But it will produce fruit sporadically through the summer here. And it tastes pretty darn good, although the skin can get a bit thick when it gets hot. I also have good luck with Sungold. The smaller tomatoes, especially cherry types, seem to do the best for me when temps stay above 95.
HTH,
Susan

sepeters

Thank you all for the advice! I did get some celebrity seeds. We will see how they do this year. :)
I wonder if I should also try planting a cold resistant variety at the end of summer and maybe it will grow through the winter since it is so mild here then. Any thoughts?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like a good plan! :)

imafan26
Mod

Hi
I don't live in Arizona so I thought I'd just pass on a link to the Arizona extension. It looks like there are some gardening classes. One starts on Jan 26. Your local master gardener might be able to tell you which varieties do well in where you are.

https://www.les.biffle.org/tomatoes.html

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”