Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Try the Amish Paste. Its bigger than a roma anseems to grow well for me! It even has a good taste for slicing! You can buy them most places. Its about 8 ounces and indeterminate and continues to bear fruit!. If you want a hybrid try Health Kit Hy. but its small and determinate looks more like a long pepper disease resistant! Both RH Shrmway!

applestar
Mod

This isn't a recommendation since I haven't grown most of these yet myself. But these are paste type candidates I'm thinking of growing in my 2013 tomato garden: (source of description in parenthesis)

Opalka Red Med Sausage Mid IND RL
(Sustainable) 78 days Indeterminate vines with regular leaves. Carolyn Male was given this tomato by her co-worker Carl Swidorski, who said the seed originated in Poland circa 1900. Opalka grows about 4-5" long and about 2-3" wide. The fruits normally weigh around 7-8 ounces. Opalka is known for making an intense, thick, dark red tomato sauce that has a super concentrated flavor.
Mother Earth News Says about Opalka tomato.... "If you're on a flavor quest, look at Polish heirlooms with pepper-shaped fruits such as ‘Opalka’. This variety was discovered by Male and is quickly becoming a favorite among gardeners who have canning and drying on their minds."

Orange Icicle Orange Sausage Mid Tall
(https://www.popenko2007.narod.ru/)
90. Icicle orange. Mid, tall cultivar. Fruiting abundant, long-lasting. Fruits are elongated, cone-shaped, delicious, dense, perfectly suited for canning, weighing up to 100 g. In the brush generates up to 15 fruits.

Orange Strawberry Orange Med heart Mid-late IND RL
(Tatiana) 75-85 days, large indet. plant with regular leaf foliage, deep orange heart-shaped fruit, 8-14 oz, but can grow up to 1 lb, very productive, few seeds, rich taste, meaty flesh with small seed cavities and thick gel, excellent.
IL LO N
80 days, indet., regular foliage, 8 oz to 1 lb orange fruit, excellent taste, first fruits were globe shaped, later fruits are strawberry shaped, very sweet, excellent yield, one of the best tasting orange tomatoes I've grown.

Polish Linguisa Red Large Sausage Mid IND RL
OP
(Reimer) 73 days. Lycopersicon esculentum. Plant produces excellent yields of 10 oz red tomatoes. Tomatoes are very sweet and are more productive than most heirloom varieties. These huge sausage shapd tomatoes are excellent for making paste and sauce. A heirloom variety from New York, USA dating back to the 1800's. Indeterminate.

(Polish) Cream Sausage Cream Medium Sausage Mid Tall 4' Dwarf DET 80d Bush, DET
(BC/rareseeds) 70 - 75 days. Here is a new and stunning tomato, an elongated paste tomato that is creamy white to pale yellow in color. The sweet flavor should be a hit with gourmet chefs. Bushy plants are quite productive. Think of the new sauce colors this beauty will create!

Wes Red Medium-Large Heart Mid-late IND RL
(Tatiana) 80-85 days, indet., regular wispy foliage, red heart shaped fruit, 8-12 oz, the flavor is very sweet and excellent. Certainly one of the best red heart-shaped tomatoes. Fruits are very meaty and almost seedless, and it always a challenge to collect enough seeds to offer it in our seed catalogue. Not very productive here but a must grow for taste.
IL LO N
85 days, indet., regular leaf, high yield of 1 to 1.5 lb heart shaped fruit with very good flavor.
*Allow to get much riper than other tomatoes.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

That's right-I forgot! :roll:
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jillybean
Newly Registered

I've tried the Amish Paste twice in spring gardens and never had any luck. Plants were never very sturdy looking. I would get a few flowers, but no fruit. It took a long time before I even saw any flowers. Problem may have been "newbie mistakes", but it seems like the heat may have been too much for it. (past 2 springs quickly went into high temps). I am going to try Porter and Opalka this year for sauce. I don't know if Porter is actually a paste, but I've found descriptions stating it is good for sauce.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

One of the main problems planting tomatoes is not planting them deep enough or not laying them over so more of the stem is under ground at the start! Good soil does make a difference. I had great luck with them. Romas I do not care for because they are determinate!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

What are people's opinions of Jersey Devil? I have a few seeds and may try it next year.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

Blossom end rot is common with elongated tomatoes its more of a lack of the plant to access calcium in a form it can take in. I grow lots of paste tomato and I use lots of bone meal also I use humic acid mycorrhazae fungi and I fed my plants every other week with a tomato fertilizer like tomato tone next if I am having a real difficult time with Blossom end rot try a product called Cal Carb by Xtreme Gardening it works very well.https://xtreme-gardening.mybigcommerce.c ... lCarb.html
Last edited by dustyrivergardens on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Ooh that's good. I was wondering because I tend to think of Polish varieties as maybe better for cooler temps.

Jersey Devil -- it's on my list of want to grow someday, especially with that name :twisted: ...but looks like not this year. If you do grow some this summer, keep me in mind for some seeds in the fall?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah I collect seeds from all the tomatoes and peppers I grow. Reason why I want to try it is because I read it has several uses besides making sauce. Plus they look really cool.

Grandad

I too have been trying to decide which new paste tomatoes to try. My earlier past tomato trials have bee with Italian Red Pear, San Marzano, San Marzano Redorta, and Roma. I've had disease issues (blight) with the first 3. Roma produces well but is much less meaty than the others So I've decided to try Opalka and Amish Paste. ... and will see what happens.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”