Garf
Green Thumb

More Hornworm Damage

Looks like the Hornworms are active again.

[img]https://www.mastercontrollinelinksite.info/Gardening/hornworm1a.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.mastercontrollinelinksite.info/Gardening/hornworm1b.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Jeez... I don't think I'd want to run in to that worm in the dead of night! What did the stick in the Haagen-Dazs container look like before the worm got to it?

applestar
Mod

Aw, bummer!:x I'm guessing the label says "Campari"?
Can you put a netting type cover on your plants?

Garf
Green Thumb

[quote="rainbowgardener"]Jeez... I don't think I'd want to run in to that worm in the dead of night! What did the stick in the Haagen-Dazs container look like before the worm got to it?[/quote]I don't have a before pic, but it was a healthy looking seedling.

Garf
Green Thumb

I seldom see these thing in the daytime, BUT, today I found a monster feeding on my Tasti Lee plant. I made short work of it with a pair of scissors. Messy, but effective.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, hornworms, unlike slugs and some other pests, are always out in the daytime. They just don't move and are exceptionally well camouflaged, so it takes some practice and close observation to spot them. Then when you do, you wonder how you possibly missed it since it is so big.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

YUCK! Can you see the monsters and kill them? I would be poed over that kind of damage.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

oh yeah....this will give you a good idea. These suckers are evil....

Click above for the full size horror picture...

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Internet was screwing up so I could not give you a specific link. If you look at this site you will see a couple of sites for horn worms on tomatoes.

https://search.vt.edu/search/pages.html? ... h%3Dvt.edu

Hope there is something helpful for you.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

ElizabethB wrote:Internet was screwing up so I could not give you a specific link. If you look at this site you will see a couple of sites for horn worms on tomatoes.
I have dealt with these, fairly successfully I think, for a bunch of years. Finding and removing as many pupae from the soil is a good first start. They overwinter in the ground in the pupa stage. Vigilantly checking the plants every evening (when they're most active)...not as bad as it seems because you'll see the damage if they're there, and they leave piles of castings...find the poop and look up. One you develop an "eye" for them, you see them pretty easy. Finally, (and I don't know how this with the organic folks) an application of BTT (the same bacteria they use on gypsy moths, etc.) will stop the problem in its tracks. Its a bacterium that only infects and harms caterpillars...completely safe for humans. Works great for cabbage whites as well...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If I can be teacherly for just a minute:

JayPoc - I usually don't correct people, but just to make it easier for people to find, what you are talking about is Bt (bacillus thuringiensis, but you don't need to know that). It is sold under various brand names such as Dipel and Thuricide.

Elizabeth - one more little thing it is helpful to know for posting here. When you post big long addresses like that, it breaks the formatting and then you have to scroll back and forth to read the posts, not only yours but the whole page. It is better to hide it, using the URL button. When you mouse over the button, instructions for using it appear just over the text box. Click the url button and this appears

Delete the second bracket and type = ... rm control

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Rainbow - I was not aware of the disruption.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”