hardland

An issue with my Florida winter tomatoes, with pics.

I started 10 plants from seed back in September, they went in the final 9 gallon pots about 3 weeks ago, using a potting mix I have used before. I noticed about 10 days ago the new growth was a lime green, that turned to yellow, then brown. The plants are still alive, but I don't think thriving. I treat every 7 days with liquid copper and every 7 days with a compost tea I make, don't want to lose the plants. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
[img]https://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/valuemet/leafissuenov8121.jpg[/img]
[img]https://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/valuemet/leafissuenov8122.jpg[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

It appears you have a slight case of Leaf Roll also. Take a look at this site.
https://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/PNW616/PNW616.pdf

I'm thinking it maybe fertilizer burn.

Eric

hardland

Thanks DDFarm, a very good link for reference. I hope it is leaf roll, seems like it's not fatal. Maybe I was a bit generous with the fertlizer in original pots.

hardland

I guess I should back off on the fertilizer for a while.
My mix for 9 gallon containers is: 1/2 cup Bone meal, 1/2 cup blood meal, 1/2 cup calcitic lime, 1/2 cup tomato tone( 2-4-7), 1 cup of worm castings and 4 cups Black cow composted cow manure, I'm curious what I should remove from the mix?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Everything you list is fertilizer, mostly high nitrogen. But it is not enough to fill a 9 gallon container. Do you have some actual topsoil, potting soil, peat moss, etc in there?

Even if the rest is topsoil, it's a pretty rich mix. If the rest is potting soil that has Miracle Gro or something in it, then you are way over fertilized.

hardland

Yes, those components only make up about 6 cups, the base mix is Fafard 3b, an organic potting mix with no ferilizer, just pine bark, peat moss, etc. 9 galls = 1200oz. 6 cups = 48oz. I think I will just add some bone meal and a little Calc lime for calcium, take out the rest from the mix?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Fafard 3B Mix

Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss (50%), processed pine bark, perlite, starter nutrients, wetting agent & Dolomitic limestone.
Bulk density: 11 to 14 lbs.
pH range: 5.5 to 6.5 after wetting.
Use for: Cuttings, seeds, bedding plants, hanging baskets, flowering plants, foliage & interiorscapes

Looks like it has fertilizer of some type.
Nutrient Starter Charge:
Fafard routinely provides a balanced, water soluble nutrient starter charge to all its media. Our nutrient starter charge provides a dilute, balanced nutritional environment for seed germination and/or early seedling growth. In our peat media our nutrient starter charge will provide sufficient fertility for 7-14 days. However, we do recommend grower application of a dilute, complete fertilizer (50-100 ppm) at wet down or immediately after plant germination or transplanting.
Eric

hardland

Thanks eric, I had no idea it had any starter nutrients, I should just back of fertilizer completely, then add some low nitrogen after 14 days.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

my grandfather taught me, circa mid 1950's:

put the tomatoes in the poorest part of the garden.

natively, it's a weed; since selectively bred to a weed with tasty doohickies hanging off . . .

too much "good environment" often produces a wonderful weed plant but not a long of wonderful weed fruit.

so....less can be more - I'd concur the TLC might be a bit over the top.

what was the point with the "liquid copper?"
copper is a fungicide; no fungus attack, no need. . . .
winter = drier RH = generally accepted less fungal disease.....
leaving me puzzled.

hardland

Every year down here in FL we have an issue with fungus and disease, I use Liqu copper to treat. when I saw the condition in pictuers, I treated with liq cop because I thought it was fung/disease. a lot of people use Liq copper as a preventative.

Garf
Green Thumb

In Miami, I usually get bacterial leaf spot. I also get leaf miner and spider mites and occasionally whitefly. Little else.

imafan26
Mod

Be careful with the copper too much can be toxic.

https://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/ex ... e-ext.html

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”