Cate090404

Too much water?

My tomatoes look a little droopy. The leaves are curling under and some of the stem has a purplish color to it. They are each in individual flower pots and I stick them outside in the sun during the day. I water them about twice a week, is that too much. My grandma used to have a tomato garden and I love fresh tomatoes, so I thought I would try it, but I have a lot to learn.

Midnight Smoker

What size container do you have them in? Also, what type of tomato plant?

Rule of thumb for growing tomatoes in a container is 5gal container should be the absolute smallest. You might be able to go a little smaller for a patio variety... but I wouldn't

The bigger the container = bigger root system = bigger plant = more tomatoes :D

Cate090404

I have beefsteak tomatoes in an 18 qt container. I could go bigger, but how do you transplant them without damaging them? They're about 3 feet tall and I'm worried about breaking off roots when I take them out. I think too much water was an issue too because I stopped watering them and they perked up some. I've already lost one plant to a weird fungus that wouldn't die. These two have flower buds that aren't blooming. They've been there for about 2 weeks and haven't opened. The ones that did open, I think were broken by wind. The weather has been crazy here, but I didn't think buds would break off from it. There's pretty much only one sunny place to put them in the back yard during the day though.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”