Poll ended at Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:13 am

Green house
67%
Natural environment
33%

Total votes: 3
simplycurious

This house just won't do.

I moved my three tomato plants and one garlic plant into my dad's green house approximately seven days ago. My tomato plants tell me that they don't like it in there. The reason I moved them into the green house was to keep them out of the cold. (It's finally cooling down here in south Mississippi, but only in the mornings.)

So I'm afraid this green house is all wrong for my plants for the following reasons:

too hot (temp reads 110!)
no air circulation
less sunlight
no serotonin or dopamine from being around other plants, animals, or me (that is totally a joke, y'all. Plants do not have neurotransmitters.)

Should I move them back outside to their natural environment where they can talk to my dog and bask in the sun? Or leave them in the greenhouse to protect them from the coming cool weather?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"Plants do not have neurotransmitters"

Neurotransmitters in Plant Life by V.V. Roshchina: The book examines the functions of the neurotransmitters acetylcholine and biogenic amines dopamine, noradrenaline, serotonin, and histamine in plant organisms. Also addressed are how many plant reactions are sensitive to neurotransmitters and their significance in the field of medicine. Papers in the collecting describe participation of the components of animal cholinergic and aminergic regulatory systems in the functioning of many plant processes within and outside the cell, from changes in ion permeability of membranes, energetics, and metabolism to complex processes such as fertilization, motility, and finally germination, growth, and morphogenesis.

Depends on how cold it is going to get and whether you can ventilate the greenhouse. I would leave them in the greenhouse, but ventilate it in the day time.

simplycurious

Touche, RainbowGardener, touche.

They shall stay in the greenhouse, but I will visit often.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Sensitive dependency on initial conditions. :)

Eric

applestar
Mod

How cold is it getting? Tomatoes would definitely be unhappy in 110°F

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:How cold is it getting? Tomatoes would definitely be unhappy in 110°F
Agreed, but if you just open the greenhouse up, it won't heat up like that. Ventilation! Even if all you can do is leave the door open.

simplycurious

It's 8 in the morning on November 3rd and it is currently 58 degrees outside, but super foggy, so the humidity is high.

james_coale
Newly Registered

For best pollination and
fruit set, minimum night temperatures should be
below 27C (80F) and daily maximums above 18oC (64F). If the temperature exceeds 28oC (82F) fruit can be softer and yellow or orange in colour, especially if there is not a lot of leaf cover.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”