JohnnyB60

Black flies on tomato plants

:o I just noticed an unusable amount of black flies on the leaves of my tomato plants. Truthfully I can't ever remember seeing Black flies on them before although this has been a bad year for files around my patio.

I don't know if they are doing damage or why they're there. it's at the end of the season with lows in the 40s and highs in the 70s, but I'm still getting tomatoes, just not as many. So why are they there, are the plants dying or what?

applestar
Mod

See if the tomatoes are infested with aphids. Sometimes the flies, like ants, are after the honeydew produced by the aphids.

JohnnyB60

applestar wrote:See if the tomatoes are infested with aphids. Sometimes the flies, like ants, are after the honeydew produced by the aphids.
Thanks I'll check on that in the morning.

I forgot to mention that we also have had swarms of Grasshoppers in the last few weeks. They’ve been busy eating my vines and decorative plants, but I wonder if they have left anything on the tomato leaves that might be attracting the flies. There aren't any bites taken out of the leaves so I don't think the grasshoppers are eating them.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”