Smallgardener

Still getting tomatos from frozen plants

We got a couple of frosts about 2 weeks ago now. It killed most of the tomato plants but the inside and lower parts are still alive. The vines were loaded up with maters that were almost done but still green. I have been picking maters since then. Mostly of the bloody butcher. Still waiting to see if the mortgage lifter rippens some. I worked up the rest of the garden already but left the maters.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, they are pretty tough. Last year when the first frost was predicted, I went out and picked all the tomatoes that had the least blush, but left the plants and the smaller, greener tomatoes. The plant sailed through and I ended up picking off a bunch of slightly blushed tomatoes twice more before we had a real killer frost.

mattie g
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Yes, they are pretty tough. Last year when the first frost was predicted, I went out and picked all the tomatoes that had the least blush, but left the plants and the smaller, greener tomatoes. The plant sailed through and I ended up picking off a bunch of slightly blushed tomatoes twice more before we had a real killer frost.
I did the same just last weekend, and the majority of those tomatoes are nearing full ripeness. The only problem I'm having is the cracks and spots that tend to "go off" or get a little fuzzy before the tomato is fully ripe.

I left 30 or so lbs of tomatoes on the plants, and with the nice weather this week I'm hoping they'll ripen up before the first real frost hits us.

SharonRossy
Newly Registered

I brought in a bunch because it was getting cold and the squirrels were in full attack mode. The ones that didn't have any blush have not done well and the texture and taste were weird so I ended up throwing most of them away. Any ones that had cracks I tossed because they were getting nasty looking and moldy. Too much trouble, I decided. I saved what I could. Have to wait till next year!
Sharon :)

JohnnyB60

I haven't had frost yet this year, but last year I picked them green and had fried green tomatoes. I hadn’t had them before and enjoyed them. I'm going to do the same this year if there are any.

Garf
Green Thumb

[quote="SharonRossy"]I brought in a bunch because it was getting cold and the squirrels were in full attack mode.
Sharon :)[/quote]Sounds like the perfect time for squirrel stew.

james_coale
Newly Registered

You can extend your harvest through light frosts by covering plants with tarpaulins or sheets, but when the first hard frost threatens, pick all remaining fruits and bring plants indoors.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”