gundogblue
Cool Member

Too many tomatoes

I live in Northern IL, and it's Oct 7th the temps will be low in the low/mid 30's at night, and mid/upper fifty's during the day. It was bad yr for a lot of people, but I had a bumper crop of tomatoes,and pepper this yr. I canned 108 quarts of tomatoes, mostly San Marzano's, and Amish Paste. BUT I'm in the proccess of pulling all the remaining tomatoes, I bet I have at least 40 lbs oF San Marzano's, not to mention an equal number of Amish Paste tomatoes. The tomatoes are still green. If I put then in large rubber-maid containers, will they ripen? The good lord has blessed me with a great amount of tomatoes, and sure don't want them to go to waste if I can help it.
Any help or advice will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Paul :D :?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Paul, I would be reluctant to put them in a plastic container . . . and, I live in an arid climate.

What I would probably do with that many tomatoes - shuffling off to see how many tomatoes are in his kitchen - is put them in produce boxes. Okay, I've got 5.5# of cherries in a plastic basket and 35.5# in 2 cardboard produce boxes. Additionally, there are some ripe plum/saladettes on the deck in a fiber basket but I didn't go out there with a scale. (It is now much cooler on the deck than in the house - light frost every morning.)

I don't like to wrap the tomatoes with paper - that will just keep me from seeing them :? .

DW or I will go thru them on almost a daily basis. The ripest ones will be moved to a fiber basket on the counter. Or, straight into a pot to be made into sauce, then into the freezer.

I finally stopped blanching and peeling tomatoes for sauce and instead, just run them thru the food processor. No doubt, there are molecules of skin in there but, I can't find them. Besides, I kind of like including the skin :wink: .

If it isn't too much bother for you to make use of them about every 3 days, "this looking thru them often" should work fine for you.

Steve

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I just juiced the last of my red ones tonight and will make tomato soup out of them and can it tomorrow

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

n8young

I will try this I love canning stuff and I am sure some around here would enjoy this.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Pretty sure I have enough green tomatoes I think I will try both of these recipes Thanks

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”