faithful4ever

How Long for Tomatoes to Grow from Start to Finish?

hi all,

Iam new to gardening,well Iam growing some things In containers. I just wanted to know how long does it take for tomato's to grow from start to finish? I started growing mine around feb. Iam now thinking I started a bit late :( one more question can you grow watermelon in containers? I have sugar babies and I also have muskmelons they grow to be 4lbs. thank you all, for all your help.

have a blessed day!!!

garden girl
Cool Member

Hi, indeterminate varieties will grow until the weather turns nasty later in fall. Do you know what you have? Watermelons sprawl across the ground, so I wouldn't recommend them in containers. Interesting to hear if anyone has done that, though, I am growing that variety also. Moon & Stars, too.

faithful4ever

I have tomato's for patio's the package says the tamato's plant grows depending on the size pot I have it in a 12'' pot.the tomato themselves are suppose to grow to be the size of a baseball.

tiggs&oscar

garden girl wrote:Hi, indeterminate varieties will grow until the weather turns nasty later in fall. Do you know what you have? Watermelons sprawl across the ground, so I wouldn't recommend them in containers. Interesting to hear if anyone has done that, though, I am growing that variety also. Moon & Stars, too.
Hi,

I've just read an interesting article re melons where they are grown in a greenhouse and allowed to trail up and then when the fruit hangs down the melons are supported by stockings! This is obviously in the British climate re the greenhouse and it advised keeping only four fruit to each plant.

pomme8916

The time varies depending on the variety.

Inamon

tiggs&oscar wrote:I've just read an interesting article re melons where they are grown in a greenhouse and allowed to trail up and then when the fruit hangs down the melons are supported by stockings! This is obviously in the British climate re the greenhouse and it advised keeping only four fruit to each plant.
Last year I was at Longwood Gardens (Kennett Square, PA, USA) and the were growing some kind of melons using that same technique but bagging with some professional looking nets that would expand with melon growth. As a result we decided to grow some "sweet delicious honey dew" melons in a container this year. We have 2ft(lgth)x 1ft (wdth)x 1ft (dpth) containers running around our deck with an in ground irrigation system set up to a water timer. As it is on the deck they are set close to the railing (plastic, white) and we have invested in a white plastic expanding trellis which will be attatched to the railing via zip ties (easy on easy off). The idea being that as the plant grows we can start to train it up the trellis and use a bagging device to support the melons as the grow. We also figure we will need to do this for our Brandywines (heirloom) as they apparently can grow to about 1lb in size.
I will keep you informed as to how this experiment works.

pomme8916

it depends on the variety.

Geek

tiggs&oscar wrote:
garden girl wrote:Hi, indeterminate varieties will grow until the weather turns nasty later in fall. Do you know what you have? Watermelons sprawl across the ground, so I wouldn't recommend them in containers. Interesting to hear if anyone has done that, though, I am growing that variety also. Moon & Stars, too.
Hi,

I've just read an interesting article re melons where they are grown in a greenhouse and allowed to trail up and then when the fruit hangs down the melons are supported by stockings! This is obviously in the British climate re the greenhouse and it advised keeping only four fruit to each plant.
I have read the same thing about pumpkins :shock: They were saying that you can put nails into the side of a barn and let them crawl up the wall. Then you can either support the pumpkins or pick the flowers until the vines crest the roof and let them grow on top of the roof. I think I will just let mine run down the rows between my corn.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”