gardenboy
Cool Member

Tomato scarring

Did you cut open the tomato to see if the culprit was inside? Sometimes I get pinworms inside the damaged fruit and also my peppers. Look inside the gel part of the tomato.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nope, not mostly anything inside.

Here's a "fall harvest" picture I took, but if you click to enlarge it, you can see the tracks on the tomatoes.

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/rainbowgardener/Fall2012-1.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

I think at least part of the scarring is being caused by stink bugs... Do you have them in your garden?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ahh.... I'm not quite sure. They look a lot like squash bugs. I definitely had a bunch of something that was either one or the other, I was thinking squash bugs. They were in the same bed that those tomatoes are in. I had a squash plant growing in the middle between the tomato plants. But after I gave up and pulled the zucchini, I haven't been seeing the squash (?) bugs. I would think if they were there I would have noticed them while I was peering around looking for the hornworms, they are big and black and ugly (the squash/ stinkbugs, not the hornworms).

But that's not a no, and now that you mention it, I do think they cause that kind of damage.

Is there a different way to look for the stinkbugs?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Stink bugs are wider than squash bugs where they are more slender. They both come in many colors though stink's are usually brown. I am lucky enough to have both. :D I have see this kind of damage myself. The millions of pill bugs aint helping either. They have been hurting a lot of my veggies. But they make or round holes like a sccop.

Just spray a heavy dose of DDT on everything you will be fine. LMFAO

applestar
Mod

I think they damage apples in the same way too. A brown spot that is corky under the skin. I'm not seeing a "horde" like two years ago, but I'm definitely seeing them in ones and twos here and there -- Especialy peppers, tomatoes, beans. I saw one walking along the top wire of my 7ft trellis, too high for me to do anything. :evil:

I think shifting the foliage around or spraying with water to get them to move and reveal themselves seems like the best way to spot them.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”