cubs204

What a difference seasonal temperatures make!

In central IL, like most of the country, we had a hot, hot, HOT couple of months. Temps have moderated quite a bit and as a result I am pulling in 10-20 maters a day now. Seriously, they all ripened like I was growing nothing but determinates. I just gave away 3 grocery bags of maters and still have about 30 on the window sill. Guess its about time to make at least another batch of salsa. Oh, and we have had BLT's 4 times in the last week. I love BLT's. A nice big slice of tomato, two bacon slices, a leaf of lettuce and enough Helmans that it squirts out the sides when you put the sandwich together. MMMMM

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Interesting and I was in your boat a few weeks ago. Seeing I am more west of you in central MO but basically the same in climate give or take a few weeks. Mine have slowed down in fruit production but not in total growth. I had to extend my cages yesterday since they are getting out of hand, not a bad thing I must say.

You and I are lucky to have anything this year with the insane heat wave we went through.

Good job my friend keep it up. :flower:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the lovely break in the weather is very refreshing for me and my plants. I'm actually taking care of my garden these days. When it was so hot, all the hours I could stand to be standing around outside were taken up with watering and I did not do anything else in the garden. So my plants are benefitting from the break in the weather and the extra care.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

n8young wrote:
cubs204 wrote:Oh, and we have had BLT's 4 times in the last week. I love BLT's. A nice big slice of tomato, two bacon slices, a leaf of lettuce and enough Helmans that it squirts out the sides when you put the sandwich together. MMMMM
Ever grow Swiss Chard? I have been eating it on my BLTs in place of lettuce.....mor nutritional value, still has a good crunchy texture, and a nice taste to go with it. And to boot, it grows and endures much better than any lettuce I have ever planted.
There has been much talk of swiss chard on here. Search and you will find it. Swiss Chard is hard to kill and if you let it go to seed look out it comes on strong, very strong with seed. :D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”