MaryDel

From Red to Yellow???????

I save seeds very year. Last year I saved seed from my San Marzano 'Redorta'. They were all red. This year I noticed a golden San Marzano growing in my patch. I've never grown yellow plum tomatoes of any kind before and none of my neighbors have either. I'm perplexed as to how it came to be other than a mutation of some sort. Anyone have any clues?

btw, the Yellow plant was the healthiest of 35 plants and is bearing 3x the fruit of the others. It does not seem to suffer from BER, like the red ones.

[img]https://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx337/Flatfeesh/DSCN1247.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx337/Flatfeesh/DSCN1246.jpg[/img]

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Must be something in the water.

Read this thread https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47825

MaryDel

It's interesting that that guy in your link was growing San Marzanos also when his Brandywine changed colors.

They do sell a golden san marzano that looks very similar to mine but they claim it is a determinate, wheras mine is an indeterminate.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yeah I feel like I'm in the twilight zone or something. :lol:

Let me ask you this, are you growing pink Brandywine as well? IF so.............????? That is werid. :roll:

MaryDel

I imagine the mutation happened last year, and yes I was growing some Brandywines then as well as now......what self respecting Tomato guy doesn't? :lol:

IMO the flavor is as good as the red ones just slightly less acidic. With only one plant, I haven't had enough of them to make sauce though, so I've been eating them fresh.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

MaryDel wrote:yes I was growing some Brandywines then as well as now......what self respecting Tomato guy doesn't? :lol:
ME!!

There are many greats out there. Trust me Brandywine is just the beginning. Some are being breed in my basement right now.

Seed from that please, I will send back some stuff leaving you to say "Brandywhat?"! LMFAO

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Oh and again it is way more likely it is a cross that a revert. Bees don't go straight form your tomato to the hive, they can hit up another garden along the way to or from.

It is very rare for a plant to revert, again yellow is a reccesive gene making it that much more rare. Either way this is a special find, you should be proud. 8) Not too mention the disease resitstance and the productivity gain.

BONUS!!!! :clap:

mattie g
Green Thumb

MaryDel wrote:I imagine the mutation happened last year, and yes I was growing some Brandywines then as well as now......what self respecting Tomato guy doesn't? :lol:

IMO the flavor is as good as the red ones just slightly less acidic. With only one plant, I haven't had enough of them to make sauce though, so I've been eating them fresh.
Sounds perfect for a guy like me who likes paste tomatoes but really doesn't like overly tomato-y acid flavor!

MaryDel

Well,

It looks like the Golden San Marzano is a determinate. I guess that explains why it was more productive earlier. It's just about gone now while the red varieties are booming.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”