I am becoming increasingly frustrated about controlling tomato growth - that time of year
Back when I had less than 20 plants, livestock fencing cages worked okay. I wasn't very happy with the look of the cages during the off-season and when the number of plants grew, the cages had to go! So, they sprawled for many years . . .
I tried staking in a single row and that worked okay but a 4' bed seems wasted with only a single row, so I doubled the rows this year, staggering the planting. When I realized that tying them to the stakes was becoming inadequate, I did "the weave" about 4' up. But . . . that don't work so hot
because there's a double row! It is still a little early in their season and the jury is out on whether I'm going to be able to reach in between the 2 rows. (As well as, whether I can continue to get down the plants on either side of the very long tomato bed.)
I once built a 1" x 4" board trellis for the tomatoes. That will only work with a heck of a lot of nails and hammering. The end of the season means dismantling all that.
wasn't so great for a lot of reasons and I hate to use a straw mulch out there. Voles have been a huge problem when I have piled up very much mulching material in the past - on the potatoes
Maybe next year I will try the trellis with pvc pipe. The fittings don't have to be glued (I hope) and there are already quite a few lengths of pipe around here under the deck and in a crawlspace . . .
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks