SharonRossy
Newly Registered

Splitting, cracking, creatures and gold medal to s

Hi everyone. A couple of things.
So I've been experiencing cracking and I'm being careful about watering and then we had a lot of rain starting Thursday and Friday. Just went out to check, and voila, some have split! As well I found what looks like droppings on some leaves where I had found some skinny little critter and a couple of small tomatoes had vpbeen attacked. I sprayed with an insecticidal soap but don't know if it's going to work.

Also. GoldMedal toms. I was given a couple of them. They are tall and lush, a few tomatoes that are getting large, and lots of flowers becoming fruits. I think I should cut off tops. Any hopes I will actually get to eat any of these babies???
Anyone with advice, please. I live in Montreal.
Thanks, Sharon :?:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Gold medal is late variety. This one is a real winner. I have had them before. They get large and very beuatiful. As far as topping your plant I can't say. How much longer do you have on your season?

SharonRossy
Newly Registered

Hi gixxerfic, well in Montreal it's hard to say, zone 5b. We could have toms until late September if the weather hangs in. I don't think I'll get many tomatoes because altho the plant grew fast, it took time getting flowers and then setting fruit. Maybe because it was so hot here.
Any advice on the splitting?
sharon

applestar
Mod

With varieties that are prone to splitting, I try to pick them when several hours of rain is forecast or a large storm system is on the way. Undamaged blushing tomatoes will ripen "on the counter". Green ones can be used for cooking or in pickles/relish.

If I couldn't get to them, then I go out as soon as I can after the rain to pick ones that split before the bugs or animals (or microbes) get to them.

Unless the flavor is superior, I abandon problematic varieties and grow different ones following year.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Oh yeah sorry on the splitting but Apple said it right there.

Sounds like you have a shorter season than I. Just looked up Gold Medal it is a pretty late bloomer at around 84 day's. Although it states on Tatianna's tomate base it has been grown in BC Canada that is 7B also that it does well with cool nights. It should produce just give it time. Next year look for an earlier DTM (Day's to maturity). Or start ealier, have you been fertilizing them? Too much nitrogen will produce big plants at the expense of fruiting.

good luck here is the link at Tat's site https://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Gold_Medal

SharonRossy
Newly Registered

I have been fertilizing. I got the Gold Medals from a cousin who has a farm up north and they only plant toms in the 2nd week of June. I am very careful about N content. I think I will get to eat a few, but from what I can see, because the tomatoes are so big, it won't be prolific. for the moment, I am pruning out suckers and hoping for the best!
Sharon

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”