nopeda

Rutgers (det/ind), Marion, Break O Day...???

My dad grew Rutgers and we loved the flavor so that's what I wanted to try, but then I heard about Marion which is supposedly the same idea but with larger and earlier fruit and is supposed to be more resistant to disease. Flavor is the main thing to me. Is anyone familiar with both types and can tell me how they compare? I've also heard about a type called Break O Day. Can anyone compare that to Rutgers? Can anyone suggest where to get seeds for either or both?

Also, I've heard that there is a determinate type of Rutgers that was developed first, and then a semi-determinate type that was developed later. I'd rather go for the indeterminate, so can anyone tell me where to get those type seeds instead of the determinate?

Thanks!
David

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I haven't grown these, David.

Here is a resource that is just an absolute blessing for those of us with an interest in tomatoes. I bet you can find answers to quite a bit of what you want to know here:

[url=https://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Main_Page]Tatiana's TOMATObase[/url]

Just type the name of the variety you have an interest in, into the "search." It is there at the top of the page. Tatiana provides a real service not only providing us with all the information, but actual gardeners' experiences, and seed sources. Even if she sells the seed herself - she lists whomever else carries that variety! She is a real sweetheart.

Steve

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

digitS' wrote:I haven't grown these, David.

Here is a resource that is just an absolute blessing for those of us with an interest in tomatoes. I bet you can find answers to quite a bit of what you want to know here:

[url=https://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Main_Page]Tatiana's TOMATObase[/url]

Just type the name of the variety you have an interest in, into the "search." It is there at the top of the page. Tatiana provides a real service not only providing us with all the information, but actual gardeners' experiences, and seed sources. Even if she sells the seed herself - she lists whomever else carries that variety! She is a real sweetheart.

Steve
Tru Dat!!

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

Very cool site for sure.

suncitylinda

I have been involved in some discussion about Rutgers from folks who have grown it for years. The concensus is that it reverts to indeterminate regardless of being labeled determinate. I am growing it, along with Break O Day this year. I have never seen a tomato plant produce like Break O Day, except maybe Fourth of July Hybrid. BOD also has a very good, strong flavor.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”