RogueRose
Green Thumb

Cracked tomato - can I still eat it?

I picked some tomatoes today and noticed 3 of them have vertical cracks. They look pretty clean and all. I am pretty sure its because we went from NO rain to torrential downpours and the tomatoes couldn't hold the water.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

yes - check for bugs etc - but there is nothing "dangerous" about a cracked tomato.

if you've got a bunch, you'll want to use the cracked/splits first, obviously...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I told someone else this recently, if you won't eat them I will. :lol:

Yes they are fine and as dilbert said wash then and check for bugs. Of course cut away the split part when eating them. Another thing if you keep them too long they can get moldy so again eat them first. But if they get beyond edible state save seeds from them.

And yes vertical splittng is normally due to a dry fruit getting a lot of water. The dry skin can't expand fast enough and it cracks, think of it as stretch marks. It is part of gardening. Some things you can't control, but even watering will take care of it but than again with a huge down pour that can not be controlled. Such is life in the garden. :D

Good luck

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Thanks! It's not a lot - just the ripest (which were HIDING!) I picked some that were 85% ripe and they weren't cracked. I'm definitely thinking it was rain-related. I haven't gotten any tomatoes from this plant yet so I'm eager to try it. :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

If you are expecting a large rain pick anything that is past the breaker stage, meaning getting color. This can save them.

I pick most of my fruit ealry but that is mainly cause there is so many, but also to ward off splitting. But like you said some of them hidden ones are hard to get to. But than again hidden ones mean you have big plants that make them hard to find. That means healthy plants, when I am out picking my neighbors might think I'm nuts becuase I look at all angles, I get down low and look up and try again from several angles. Those hidden ones are usually some of the better ones. :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I should have asked what variety is it that makes a big difference. Some are just prone to split. A bad quality but sometimes they may be worth keeping because of great flavor or keeping quality's etc. There are some variates that people love that are know for radial cracking. Meaning the cracks go around the center in a circle. Still great tomatoes so nothing to fuss about.

These are more than likely heirlooms not the perfect, round, red, tasteless tomatoes you get in the grocery store. :lol:

You will be fine.

Happy gardening. :flower:

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Yeah these are heirlooms I think...or organic. I think they're heirloom cherries. But they're slightly bigger than the cherries you get in the supermarket. About golfball sized.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Normally that type of size is considered saladette.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”