Danny in Co
Newly Registered

Great Blooms but no Tomatoes

I'm a newbee with a question.

I have great nice plants, green leaves, the plants grew nice and tall up through the top of the cage. Lots of blooms, but then never set on a single tomato.

About two weeks after they were planted I sprinkled a little 6-24-24 on top of the soil and hoed it in. But I don't think I over did the fertilizer.

We were like most of the country, little winter, and a very early spring. Then dry as all get out, but we kept watering them all through. They never did without water.

Any guesses why no tomatoes?

Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Blossom drop (where the blossoms fall without setting fruit) is a reaction to stress -- the plant drops the blossoms to focus on survival. The stress can be from a variety of causes-- temperatures too low or too high, humidity too low or too high, too much or too little nitrogen, lack of water. Early in the season blossom drop often relates to night time temps going below 55.

Much of the country has been in extreme heat and drought, so that could account for it right there. Water a lot (water deeply and more often than you would without the heat/drought - I've been giving mine a whole bunch of water, every second or third day). If they are in full sun, maybe provide some afternoon shade.

Pray for rain and more seasonable weather!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”