Brandywinegirl

Dark Spots on Tomato Stems??

I purchased 2 Big Daddy tomato plants from Burpee in May. One died randomly 2 weeks ago. Now the second one has dark brown spots near two joints and on the stem and almost all of the leaves are yellow but they look healthy. I am assuming it will die eventually. I have been planting tomatoes for 15 years, and have NEVER seen anything like it. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem may be? :oops:

Brandywinegirl

Well, tonight I noticed that it is dead. Anyone have this problem? I think it may be a form of Blight.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Is it late blight?

https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/DiagnosticKeys/TomWlt/LateBlt_Tom.htm

That link courtesy of the new sticky at the top of this section, thanks Applestar.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think you might have gotten it, gixx

Here's another photo of the stem lesions with late blight:

https://www.longislandhort.cornell.edu/vegpath/photos/lateblight_tomato.htm

the article with the picture says

The primary symptoms are stem lesions between the second and top lines. Late blight seems to be more virulent and nastier than early blight in killing plants quickly.

Between all the blights and wilts that tomatoes are prone to and the bugs that consistently wipe out my summer squash (see another post), it's sometimes amazing to me that anything ever makes it to our tables.

Brandywinegirl

Yep! that's it! The crazy thing is that all of my other tomatoes are growing well - some I started from seed. The two that died are a new hybrid (Big Daddy) & it may mean that the whole slew of them may have been infected at the nursery. I am glad they were not even touching my other tomatoes.
Thanks gixx & Rainbow!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I think last year's late blight epidemic was traced to a bunch of nursery propagated plants. Another reason for starting things from seed.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

If that is it that is not good. I hate to say but that is true. Late Blight is bad the others can be dealt with but Late Blight needs to be taken care of immediately.

I don't mean to scare you. The other plants you have may be somewhat resistant of this virus but that doesn't mean they will not get them. KEEP AN EYE on them at all times. Start a preventive spaying on them with Serenade, or a milk or bleach solution to try to keep it at bay. It is in your soil so don't plant tomatoes or potatoes there next year. Also take out and destroy (NOT in compost) the effected plants. Do some research please.

Good luck

Look here for starters: https://www.tomatodirt.com/tomato-blight-late.html

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”