Barbarish
Newly Registered

Tomato damage

I am wondering if this is rodent activity or hornworm or hail damage. . . I just don't know. I've searched and searched and have not found any hornworm. We had a hail storm the evening of the 4th. I'm wondering if that caused this damage? I'm posting a picture and any insight would be *very* appreciated. I grew all my tomatoes from seed and this is crushing me.

[img]https://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/Barbarish/DSC_2428.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's not looking like hornworm damage to me. I would think you would know if it were hail damage, because then your whole garden would be damaged with holes in the leaves and damage to all different kinds of plants. If this is localized to tomato fruit, I doubt hail could be selective like that.

So that seems to leave rodents or birds....

Barbarish
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for your response!

There was pretty widespread hail damage in the garden. Some branches were broken on the tomato plants, holes in leaves, blooms knocked off, etc. The hail was probably around pingpong ball size. Below is a pic of the hail.

[img]https://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/Barbarish/photo.jpg[/img]

Barbarish
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for your response. My garden is pretty protected from bigger things like groundhogs. I was thinking maybe a chipmunk or squirrel? I haven't found any more tomatoes like this one since yesterday, which is somewhat encouraging. I have a fence around the garden (mostly for decoration since I live in a plan) and then I have wire "planted" around the inside of the garden to keep bigger vermin out. I haven't seen any security breeches there. lol

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”