applestar
Mod

:lol: Tomato stashed in the tree :lol:

Lake water's not good enough for your spoiled squirrels, eh? :roll:

It's still a good idea to set out birdbaths and wildlife watering stations though. It's more effective to locate them between the trees (or wherever they are coming from) and the garden. :wink:

susanapics

I lost every tomato on four plants one year to squirrels and/or raccoons. Every one was disappeared completely. I did see a squirrel in a tree with one in its mouth though. The next year I planted twice as many thinking we could share. ha. The squirrels didn't sign on to that idea and took all of those too. The third year I went on strike and got my tomatoes at the farmer's market. Once (years ago) I caught a box turtle munching on a tomato near the bottom. She got a free pass because she wasn't a squirrel :) Rabbits eat peaches and figs I can't imagine they wouldn't eat tomatoes.

ExcitableGardener

I posted this in the forums a couple months ago. [url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45179&highlight=[/url] Its not for everybody, but it sure helped me with my bird and squirrel problems.

The funny thing is I used to hate the birds and squirrels and now that they can't eat my garden I actually enjoy watching them.

3 Pound Tomato
Cool Member

The squirrels destroyed my tomato crop this year. It has been a terrible drought here in Maryland, they even eat the green ones. Some years I'll trap them, but this year I didn't have the time.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Deer netting! It's the lazy gardener's version of what excitable gardener showed. Stick in some stakes, wrap deer netting around them, stake it down at the bottom and pull it together over the top with twist ties.

Cheap, takes 15 min, and keeps squirrels, groundhogs, birds, and etc away from your tomatoes. I would never get to eat a tomato if I didn't cage them in with netting.

susanapics

Here's a big version of Excitable Gardener's solution. I really love it because it's secure (maybe) and serene at the same time :) [url]https://ediblegardensla.tumblr.com/post/28906666716/growing-tomatoes-squash-cucumbers-beans-golden[/url]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

beautiful... I love it, but it really only works when your garden is all compact in one spot. I have different beds spread all over the front and back yard. The deer netting is nice for wrapping each bed individually.

susanapics

Deer netting is probably more practical too since you can move it if you need/want to. I might try it with my fruit trees next year. I have a new place that has an herb garden and other things but no vegetable garden yet so for now, I have options. Not a lot of extra cash, but options. It's very exciting.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”