shangib74

Tomatoes touching ground

I was undable to get my tomatoes staked before some of the plants got too big. This has caused some of them to touch the ground. Is there anything I can do to save the tomatoes from rotting. Also is there a way to bring them up so they don't touch the ground since they are very big plants now lol. I am really new to the gardening world but I already love it lol. I don't mind going out and weeding and watering lol (weird I know). Any way any tips I could get would be great thanks so much.

Spyderco1116

First off... always stake or cage immediatley after transplanting. Even of they are still small and you may think there is no need to do so at that time. Doing this will keep you from having to stake later and interfering with the root system. Having said this... you can anchor weed control fabric around the tomato plants so the actual tomato don't touch the ground. It maybe a little too late to anchor anything close to the plant(s).

shangib74

Thanks for the tip, I kept trying to tell my husband I needed stakes and he kept saying I will get them but then he didn't. Looks like next year I will have to take matters into my own hands lol. This year I will just have to figure it out and do my best to save them if I can. I am still learning and this is one lesson I have learned already lol. I will look for the weed control fabric thanks again.

Spyderco1116

No problem. I know it's your hubby, but sometimes when you want stuff done you have to do it yourself. LOL. Good luck to you. I wish you lots of healthy crop this year and in the future!!

applestar
Mod

You'll need a helper, but you can still pick up that plant and lift the vines up from the ground. Drive stakes about midway between the base of the plant and where the vines first touch the ground, then while someone else gently lifts up the vine just enough, tie it to the stake with a strip of old t-shirt. Wrap once around the stake then tie -- this usually prevents slippage. Try to make the knot away from the vine to prevent a stress point.

Now have the helper lift up the next section of the vine several inches further on and tie.... And so on. Do this with each side branch on separate stakes.

Key is not to try to pick up too much all at once. Tomato vines are not very flexible and will snap if forced. A little section at a time, and you can also go back and re-tie from bottom up once you get the whole vine on a stake.

shangib74

Thanks so much I appreciate the tips! I may try that since I can't find any of that weed fabric. Seems like everyone is buying it up and I was too late lol. Some of my tomatoes are starting to turn red and we got to eat our very first one the other day!!!!!! Wish my cherry tomatoes would turn soon lol.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would put a mulch under the tomato plant and even under the tomatoes touching the ground. I would use straw or pine chips. Some people do not stake their tomatoes but use a mulch and let them lay!. Large fields of tomatoes work this way!. Certain varities will work better without staking!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”