RogueRose
Green Thumb

Turning Red/Picking

I have quite a few tomatoes on my vines right now. None are turning. I'm guessing it's bc it's so darn hot these days. I was reading if you pick some off it may "convince" them to turn red. I am going to be visiting my folks this weekend and I'd like to take some bounty to them. I have some potatoes and peppers to take, but I'd love to take some tomatoes. If I pick some today will they turn by this weekend?

Jeremy brua

Take the ones you picked and put them in a paper bag with a banana. They should turn if they are starting to chang color. They will not be as good as "vine ripened".

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Jeremy brua wrote:Take the ones you picked and put them in a paper bag with a banana. They should turn if they are starting to chang color. They will not be as good as "vine ripened".
They're city slickers....I doubt they'll be able to tell the difference! Thanks for the tip!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

You could do the above. The bannanas give off ethylene gas which hasten the ripening process, sort of how they do it at the gorcery store.

They may not ripen up by this weekend but leave them and they probably will.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Thanks! I'm going to try the above. Some look like they're sort of close to turning.....hopefully they'll turn. I have some cherries that are starting to turn on vine. These are the ones that are in the shade (in shade in the plant, not in shade as in plant location). So at least I'll have some of those.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”