Brown Thumbs

Sandwich tomatoes

Which variety makes the best "mater sandwich"? Some folks say the ones that have a lot of acid make the best. What variety would that be? This year I have Better Boys and they're pretty good. I've heard Celebrity may be better. My spot only gets about 5-6 hours of direct sun each day if that makes any difference on which grows best.

I'm thinking about planting two more plants this month to have something different producing in the fall. I rooted a sucker from one of my Better Boys and I could just plant that or go buy something better.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I am partial to the two varieties you have mentioned, and this year the Better Boys have been, well "better". But in past years it was Celebrity. A lot has to do with the soil and nutrients that they get. Good manured and composted soil will produce some sweet tomatoes.

Few years back I was introduced to the big red Brandywine, and it is good also.

This year, as an amateur test of wilt resistance, I have planted Neptune, BHN 669, BeefSteak, Florida 7514 and Kewalo. Verdict is still out but the Florida 7514s planted in some rich soil has been great sandwich size, super red, and tasty. I have tried to keep the gatherings separate so I can provide a good taste test, but that has been difficult.

Jeremy brua

I like Hillbilly's for sandwiches. You need some acid bit not to much. The orange variaties don't have a strong enough taiste for me.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Aunt ruby's german green is my all time sandwich tomato.

2cents
Green Thumb

Beef Steaks
:D

Smallgardener

So far I have to say the mortgage lifter is my favorite. Big Pink and low acid. But this year I have added, 4 th of July , bloody Butcher, and Arkansas Traveler.

Brown Thumbs

Wow; many opinions. Guess next year I should plant several types instead of buying a 6-pack of the same! :wink:

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

2cents wrote:Beef Steaks
:D
Lot of folks on here have raved about the Beef Steak. I bought some seed and tried them this year. I have several in my garden and planted some for my mother as well. Our results have been the same. The fruit is not as large as Celebrity, Better Boy, etc, and seems a little meely (overripe).

Some of mine were in an area that received probably too much direct sun, so that may explain some of it.

Brandywinegirl

My favorite is Brandywine. I take the sliced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and basil and put them on toasted bread. Heaven in a sandwich!! :clap:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”