Smallgardener

Cure for leaf curl??

I noticed that there are some other people posting on this. I think I am watering my tomatoes correctly. I have 5 tomatoes and only one has leave curl. It is the 4th of July plant in the middle of the other 4. It started out looking good and set tomatoes early. They got the size of a half dollar and the plant started curling. I have been pruning my plants hoping to keep the plants small and force fruit set.
Question is, has anyone ever used a potatoe fork and loosen the soil around the plant so the roots will hopefully grow?
Seems like every year there is something that keeps me from growing a good tomato crop.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Are you talking about physiological leaf roll, where the leaves curl up and inwards and get a little tough and leathery?

https://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/PNW616/PNW616.pdf

This is an adaptive mechanism of the plant to conserve moisture in hot dry conditions such as are prevailing over much of the country right now. It does not reduce fruiting/ yield.

If you note in the article, severe pruning and over-fertilizing, especially nitrogen fertilizer exacerbate this condition.

Best thing you can do is provide a little shade if your plants are in full sun in the afternoon and otherwise leave them alone.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”