gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Saving seeds from BER fruit???

Is there any reason I can't save seeds from fruit with BER? I wouldn't think so since it's not a virus or anything like that. I just can't help but double check myself.

Thinking about this today. I have tossed out 200+ fruits with BER quite a bit of them being ripe. Nothing worse than seeing color from across the way than rushing in to pick a fruit only to find out it's ruined. :'(

They may not be marketable or even edible but if I can save seed from these. It would save the good fruit, if I ever get any, for eating.

Thanks

Dono

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>save seeds

yup. BER is an "external influence" thing - certain varieties may be more or less prone to BER but that varies enormously from year to year - the seeds of an affected fruit would not be transmitting any explicit "I'm a weakling" that I've ever heard of.

>>marketable / edible
not marketable, but certainly edible. on fruits with just a minor blip I just cut it off and eat the rest.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That's what I thought like I said I had to double check myself.

I did save one today that had BER for eating/saving. Most of the others have been very small or far too gone to eat. Plus I pick off the greens ones as well to conserve energy for the plant.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

I neglected to mention - but I suspect you know -

seed saving from a hybrid variety doesn't work out -

these are open pollinated / aka heirloom types?

when I find a small tomato with BER I whack it and toss it - but some escape my scrutiny and get large. they get et' where possible - not infrequently get et' in the garden not more than a few inches from the plant (g)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Dillbert wrote:I neglected to mention - but I suspect you know -

seed saving from a hybrid variety doesn't work out -

these are open pollinated / aka heirloom types?

when I find a small tomato with BER I whack it and toss it - but some escape my scrutiny and get large. they get et' where possible - not infrequently get et' in the garden not more than a few inches from the plant (g)
What's a hybrid?? 8) :lol:

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

lol hybrids very good one who seriously grows hybrids .... again I don't think you could pass on any problems I would say go for it... Just joking all you hybrid gardeners jeez lol....

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”