RogueRose
Green Thumb

Soap Spray - Oops

I found some aphids on some of my tomatoes and I sprayed them. I must have not used the right soap or not gotten the mixture right because it killed the aphids...and the parts of the plants I sprayed. I'm definitely positive that it was the spray mixture because I haphazardly sprayed some other plants and I can tell the spray spots on them. I am currently choosing to ignore the situation. The parts of the plants that WEREN'T sprayed are doing quite well and don't seem any worse for the wear. They've been watered and rained on a few times since and are growing and producing lots of flower and fruit.

My question - should I remove these dead leaves? Or just continue to let them go?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I would take the dead leaves off.

I'm guessing you used detergent (like dishwashing liquid), not soap. Detergent is synthetic, petroleum derivative and can burn your plants. Soap is organic.

Even so, you probably made it too concentrated.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I have always used dishwashing liquid and have yet to have this happen.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Here is some advice from Colorado State University horiculturalists on using [url=https://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05547.html/]Soaps & Detergents for Insect Control.[/url]

I have long used the 3 Tablespoons per 1 Gallon dilution with Palmolive Green to spray some plants. You can see that this dilution comes close to the minimum that CSU suggests.

Commercial insecticidal soap is my choice in the food garden but I've used the Palmolive in the ornamentals. It works real well under low humidity conditions and when sprayed late in the day. I can come back the next morning and rinse the plants but I don't always do that. Sunflowers are aphid magnets and large plants requiring lots of bug-killer. The Palmolive was an answer for their aphid & spider mite problems.

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It will also burn more if you spray while sun is on the plants. Spray in the AM or evening.

Some people say detergent works fine for them, but a number of people have written in here with the same experience that they sprayed detergent on their plants and the plants got burned. Maybe it's just about concentration, but I think it is a lot less likely to happen with real soap.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I sprayed in the evening, but I probably used more soap than I should have. I'll cut off the dead leaves this weekend. The tomatoes are still going strong. Tho I'm surprised nothign h as turned yet.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”