loveykatie

How long after tomatoes are on plant will they turn red?

I have about 5 tomato plants in Baltimore, MD.

They all have a lot of fruit on them.

Just wondering how long until they usually turn red and are good to be picked!

Thanks.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

They can be picked whenever you see just a tiny bit of color change. As long as there is a blush on the fruit pick it and in a few days it will ripen on your counter.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

An eternity! Watch and watch and watch. Finally! The fruit looks full sized, won't be long now. Watch, and watch, and watch, and watch. At long last, the sign of first blush. At that point it will take about a week for the tomato to fully turn.

After watching a tomato fill out to full size, over a several week period, I always underestimate how long it will take to actually start to turn. It seems at least another couple of weeks. And then finally after the first blush, having to wait another week is almost too much to endure. Watching tomatoes fill out and ripen for a tomato loving gardener is definitely one of those situations that calls for 'patience of Job'.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have felt that this shows a fairly likely

[url=https://www.tomatosite.com/index.php?NT=Cultivation&RE=Truss_Timeline]Timeline of a Tomato Truss[/url]

I do have kind of a sinking feeling when I get down beyond 60 days and realize that the tomatoes are going to sit there in the garden past their prime :shock: .

Steve

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”