sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I.D. this disease please?

[img]https://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd229/sheeshshe/001.jpg[/img]

grr. got this from the nursery and this is what it is doing :( sigh... what is it and it looks fungal, right? I see spores on it I believe.[/img]

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

it starts off kind of yellow.

Ok, I pulled off all stems with any signs of it. I sprayed all tomato, potato, and peppers with neem oil, trying to get undersides of leaves and stems and stalks etc.

anything else? do I need to pull those effected plants?

I did look online to see if I could see what it is, but I couldn't find it.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

OK, I looked on google again and I "think" it is verticulum wilt, any one agree?

If so, I need to pull it right? and hope that it isn't going to spread to everything else. ugh. I"m finding BAD info online about this.

WHYYYYY did I have to be impatient and go and purcahse plants?? GRR

dpurdy

Sheila,
Did you notice yellow blotches on the lower leaves, and did you will see brown veins appear next, followed by brown dead spots? The lower leaves will be the first to be affected and drop off the plant. The symptoms of the decease will then work it's way up the stem stunting plant growth. The top of the plant (leaves) will stay green and you'll see fruit that are under sized. If you could post a picture of the entire plant, it would be easier to maybe diagnose your problem. I'm not 100% sure that you have Verticillium Wilt. It could be alternaria early blight. One more question is: are you seeing any change or discoloration on the stem? Verticillium Wilt is usually found more in the Northeast because it's a soil-borne fungus which resides in cooler soils. Hope some of this info is helpful. Also, as I stated earlier, a picture of the entire plant would be very helpful.
DP

Garf
Green Thumb

That looks like some sort of burn to me.

dpurdy

After looking at the picture again, I tend to agree with Garf. If your problem is only one a leaf or two, it could be a burn. Leaf burn can be caused by many things, stress from transplanting, lack of water or too much water, or injury. Some plants bought at stores have been transported, boxed up, moved around, and exposed to different weather conditions to name a few. If your plant doesn't have more indicators than a few leaves, I would monitor it and see if any more indications of disease show up. The part of the leaf that's not turning brown looks OK. At this point I wouldn't pull your plants. If you have removed the damaged leaves, any new outbreaks will be easily noticed. At that point you can make a better assessment of your problem. Don't give up yet, there still might be hope for a successful harvest.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, don't think it is a verticillium wilt. A plant with verticillium will look wilty and droopy

[img]https://erec.ifas.ufl.edu/tomato-scouting-guide/images/diseases/verticillium-wilt117.JPG[/img]

Agree with above. Remove the affected leaves and see what happens. Try to relax a little.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

It is happening on all 5 of the plants I got from the nursery. It has not yet spread to my other plants yet, I have been trying to spray with neem on them as much as I can as to hope that no fungus will attach. I know there is a debate on neem and to use sparingly, and I've been doing about once per week or so. I need to do another baking soda spray. I need to get to the hardware store and get another spray bottle. I see some early blight or something starting on my others, I saw some of the 'rings' going on on the lower leaves of a couple, I get it every year and it is to be expected. :( the plants are very small, so who knows what will happen.

as for these 5 plants in question, they all have it, and it is on each stem, and it starts on the lower leave of the stem. It does have yellow around it. I'll have to take all the stems out of the trash and further examine. I just didn't see anything online in the pictures that looked like that with the V like shape except for the verticulum wilt.

Garf
Green Thumb

Be careful. Sometimes you can do more harm than good.

suncitylinda

I agree it is easy to do more harm than good. Brown at the leaf tips like that can be the result of excess spray built up. Many sprays are oil based and in the hot sun, the plants will burn where the product piles up.....at the leaf tip. I get yellow and brown leaves on my tomatoes every year. Leaf diseases are common and most blow in on the wind. Most people who are successful growing tomatoes use a good fungicide on a proactive basis.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Well,, I definitely saw spores on it looking really close, so I do believe it was fungus.

I am going to do an experiment with a test subject plant. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”