sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

small scrawny tomato plants, flowering??

I've never seen tomato plants this small before, flowering. If they set tomatoes, the plants will fall over LOL. the stalk is still just like a pencil in diameter and they're just maybe 8-10 inches tall. should I pinch the flowers off or just let it go and trust the plant that it knows what it is doing?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

The plants are EXTREMELY stressed. Pull them asap. The plant is trying to reproduce before it dies.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

my friends are doing the same thing and hers are the same size.

how could both places have extremely stressed plants? I'm confused. what is making them stressed? they are finally looking really good now that we have sun. and getting new growth etc.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Perhaps the plants were transplanted late. They didn't get up to a good size before they matured. This happened with a few peppers I had cause I was unsure if I was gonna keep them or not. So they sat in their small pots for weeks. I have a volunteer tomato growing and it is all leggy and spindly and today I noticed a flower cluster. It is short too only maybe like a foot tall or smaller. I added a support cause the plant could not sit up straight on its own as it was growing. I am gonna leave it and see what happens.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

the plants sat at the same measly size for a LONG time. they just didn't grow at all. they started finally growing last week. age wise, they'd be flowering by now.. size wise, no.

so... take off the flowers you think? they're healthy looking finally now that the temps are up finally!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”