manomes

Solar Fire?

Me again :wink: I potted a Solar Fire plant last weekend since I added it late in the season and hoping that it will survive the So Cal heat better. Does anyone have any experience growing this variety? Also taste, size, etc? I'd never heard of it, but recommended by the garden department guy at Home Depot. Thanks!

luvthesnapper

They say heat tolerant, and only about 3 feet tall. It's also a determinate. 10 oz. fruits. I would just let it go, and see what happens. Sounds like a nice little plant.

Zero first hand experience. This is just what I'm reading about it.

manomes

Thanks again Luv! If I ever got a 10 oz. fruit from ANY of my plants I'd be thrilled. Glad I found this site so I can get a bit of a clue:)

luvthesnapper

What's your soil like? That has alot to do with what your plants are doing....

manomes

I planted this one (Solar Fire) in Miracle gro potting soil, mixed with a few cups of sphagnum peat moss. It's in an 18" pot.

The other three I potted a few weeks ago in Miracle gro garden soil by mistake thinking it was potting soil. They seem to be doing ok so far, but had heard from someone on this board that the garden soil alone (supposed to be mixed with native soil) might get compacted over time and not drain well. I've been trying to loosen up the soil a bit around the plants with a small garden shovel.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”