nicoleg906

Something was stealing my tomatoes....

So something was stealing my freshly red and ripe cherry tomatoes from my garden. It happened two days in a row, so my husband hooked up the trail camera for the night to see what was going on. Just the red tomatoes were being taken, none of the green ones. Low and behold the next morning we look at the pictures and my own dog was stealing them in the mornings! I know my sheltie is smart, but I never thought he would be smart enough to take just the red ones :)

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

lol very funny....

jnunez918

I think my problem is squirrels cause the missing tomatoes are low and the bird netting protects the top.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Squirrels don't usually take the tomatoes (though I guess if they are small, like cherry tomatoes they might). More typically squirrels just come along and take a bite or two out of each one, leaving the tomatoes there with their teeth marks in them! :evil:

mattie g
Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Shelties are incredibly smart, so I'm not surprised yours figured out which tomatoes tasted best. We had a St. Bernard/Golden Retriever mix that liked to nibble on our grapes. We had no perfectly formed bunches of grapes, but a very happy dog!
And apparently a lucky dog, too, as grapes/raisins are toxic to dogs and can cause acute renal failure!

TCHarris32

We had the same problem with our strawberries. Every time we would get one turning red, id tell my daughter that she could pick it tomorrow for lunch and sure enough it woukd come up missing. I'm pretty sure that after the 4th or 5th time of that happening she wwas starting to think I was lying. We finally caught the dog when she got caught in the netting over it to keep the birds out. :). And lyla did finally get a strawberry.

dpurdy

nicoleg906,
I have three shelties who help me around the garden. We have had 5 shelties over the years. Love them to death. They don't eat out of the garden, but they use my pathways as a raceway. That usually doesn't last too long before I kick them out of the tunnel.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”