Brandywinegirl

My First San Marzano Ripe Enough to Pick!

I have never had tomatoes before July - I am in Southeastern Pennsylvania. What a nice surprise. The San Marzano tomato is a little beat up, but should be ready to eat in a day or two. Anyone else in my area have tomatoes yet? No one in my community garden has yet - yippie!! :-()

jnunez918

I had to pick mine yellow cause of my squirrel problem

mattie g
Green Thumb

Cool! This is my first time growing San Marzanos, and I'm probably most excited about them, as I'm not a huge tomatos fan but love making sauces and salsas.

I'm a little south of you and am expecting my first tomatoes (including s truss of SMs) to start turning red in about three weeks or so. I bought seedlings online and planted them (fairly young) in mid-April, so they're about on track.

Brandywinegirl

Sorry about that, Jennifer, but its better to ripen them at home on your counter, than have the varmints eat them!

Mattie, that's great. My first one is a little sift from wear & tear I guess (weather), but I will be ready to eat it by the end of the week. Th cluster of new ones is amazing!! This heat coming up scares me - but I am going to water them well for the next two days.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have gotten a few tomatoes from my dwarf plants. But nothing yet from my main tomatoes. I see some forming now and really hope to get one/some at the end of the month.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

My tomatoes are still only 8 inches tall and not even in their permanent location :oops: but I can grow them year round here so no worries

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

My tomatoes are still only 8 inches tall and not even in their permanent location :oops: but I can grow them year round here so no worries

MaryDel

No ripe tomatos yet in central delaware, but I got mine in late. I normally get my first tom at the end of June.

I do have about 25 san marzano plants but they are not doing as well as normal. All of my beefstake varieties and my heirlooms are doing great though. It's odd.

Brandywinegirl

Mary, this has been a strange season...I went out yesterday & one of my plants died for no reason that I can see - I hope it wasn't vine borer!! :oops:

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

This is and odd season. I started 4 plants expecting to end up with 4 and give 3 to neighbors but for some reason 3 died for no reason when they were seedlings. I planted 2 seeds and cut off the weaker seedling and a couple week later they were just dead. The one I still have wwas almos dead but I was able to nurse it back.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Brandywinegirl wrote:Mary, this has been a strange season...I went out yesterday & one of my plants died for no reason that I can see - I hope it wasn't vine borer!! :oops:
I think there is a stalk borer that gets into tomato vines, but I've never seen any (whereas I fight the squash vine borer every year). If it is a borer there should be a small entry hole in the stem with a discolored area around it.

If the plant is dead, be sure to remove and destroy it, not in the compost pile.

Brandywinegirl

Will do - this has happened before... I have 13 tomato plants so hopefully the rest of them will survive. :?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”