RogueRose
Green Thumb

Hole in Tomato - pretty sure it's not BER

I have a hole in one of my tomatoes. I am pretty sure it's NOT BER because it's on the top and not the bottom. It just doesn't look like any of the photos of BER. It's on a Celebrity tomato plant.

Here it is:
[img]https://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/jeauthomas/From%20Cell/IMG_20120616_181414.jpg[/img]

And I am pretty sure this one (from another plant) *IS* BER:
[img]https://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/jeauthomas/From%20Cell/IMG_20120616_181526.jpg[/img]

And speaking of tomatoes - man these plants are THIRSTY! My "Bonnie Favorite" or Bonnie something sure likes a lot of water. It will look wilty by the end of the day and once I give it some water, within 10 minutes it perks right up. This is my first time growing tomatoes.....I'm not a huge fan but they remind me of my granddaddy and I like to use them in some things.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It could be snail or slug damage. You'll only find them at night, or if you set out traps for them. There have been many discussions here on how to control them. Use the Search the Forum function up on the black tool bar. :)

Another possibility is a tomato hornworm. If that's what you have, examine your plants very carefully. These worms are big, but they can appear as if they are part of the plant itself.

Good hunting! :lol:

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Thanks! I've seen lots on how to capture snails and slugs.

I checked around the plant bc I had a mystery caterpillar and all the leaves are perfect......just that one tomato has a hole. Would hornworms eat the leaves too?

I just looked at the hornworm - they're purdy! Lol.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I think it's early for hornworm. I usually don't see them until the very end of summer. Could it possibly be rodent damage? (squirrels included) although squirrels rarely leave it on the vine as far as I have seen. But maybe a mouse or something, a bird, or some kind of grub?

MaryDel

It looks like hornworm damage to me. They do eat holes in the fruits.

lorax
Greener Thumb

And see, for me that's textbook slug damage. In my garden, the slugs don't touch the leaves of the tomatoes, but they do eat holes exactly like the ones pictured into the fruits.

MaryDel

lorax wrote:And see, for me that's textbook slug damage. In my garden, the slugs don't touch the leaves of the tomatoes, but they do eat holes exactly like the ones pictured into the fruits.

NJ is right across the bay from me and I've never even seen a slug in my garden much less on a tomato plant. I have however seen holes eaten in tomatoes just like that for the last thirty years of gardening here.

That being said, I've yet to see a hornworm in my patch this year and I always get them. I am gardening virgin ground this year though.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I wish I had the luck of anyone who didn't have snails or slugs! :lol: They're classic around the PNW. I find them crawling up the sides of my house, and any time I reach into a plant, I'm sure to find several. I remember hunting them in my back yard one night and killing 400. I could probably find that many each night for 3 or 4 nights in a row. :roll:

There's one forest slug that's protected by law, because unlike the others, it's predatory, and it's favorite prey is other slugs. :)

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Kisal wrote: There's one forest slug that's protected by law, because unlike the others, it's predatory, and it's favorite prey is other slugs. :)
Send me some of those!!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”