gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

When to plant tomatoes for fall?

Okay the garden is doing okay not great this year like last. Just harvested onions early and they were small. Garlic seems early and small as well, peppers not going anywhere, I lost about 15+ tomatoes, now I see BER in some of them, not real happy but still content. For now, there are tons of bloosoms that have poolinated and finding more every day. But if things go bad I could loose all of them.

I'm thinking of starting some more tomatoes for a fall harvest. I am a pretty good gardener, my style is erratic and a little anarchistic in a way. But I normally do alright. One of my big problems is getting the timing right.

So any help would be appreciated, it's hard to find any info on a fall season planting time for tomatoes in MO 5B, or 6A whatever I am now.

So please give me some insight on when I should plant out a second coming of tomatoes for fall harvest. I would like to replace all the ones I have lost and maybe some that I might loose. the hot weather is coming it will get ugly here soon. The guy with the produce stand up the road wants me to start some for him as well. HELP!

My first frost is usually Mid Oct early Nov. Last year this was way off and much later.

Thanks

Dono

dpurdy

gixxerific,
I'm doing a second planting of tomatoes this year for the first time. What I'm doing for my second planting is taking cuttings from the plants that I'm growing now, and hopefully, using those for my second crop. I have only determinate type plants growing this year. My harvest should be finishing up around the end of July. Where I'm growing tomatoes now, I will replant with other veggies, like beans, beets, and other vegetables for a fall harvest. Where I'm growing cukes, broccoli, and peppers, I will plant my tomatoes.
Since I live in zone 5 or 5a, I grow in a tunnel to extend my season. I figure that I will be able to grow until the end of October, so I've counted back from there to determine my planting schedule. Starting plants now, 6 to 8 wks., will give me the early part of August for planting. It's like anything else in gardening, you'll have to plant and hope Mother Nature holds off the killing frost until your plants are finished.
I wouldn't hesitate to start plants now for your 2nd planting of tomatoes. It should give you enough time so that you may be able to salvage some of what you have lost already. It really sucks when you start pulling plants because of disease. I've been there as well. If your starting from seed, I would be doing it soon. Eight (8) wks from now would give you Mid August for your planting. You should get 8 more weeks of growing weather to flower and set fruit. Try to make sure that the area where your planting your tomatoes for a Fall harvest, still gets enough direct sunlight during the day.
One other idea for you would be to look for stores and greenhouse growers that are dumping all their bedding plants. Buy some cheap. The plants usually are in need of some doctoring or care but that's ok. You can nurse the plants for a week or two and put them in the ground or containers. That would be one way to make up for the one's you have already lost. If you find some plants locally and plant them now, you'll still be harvesting by the end of August into September. That way you won't have to worry about frost.
Hope this helps a little bit. You still have time to salvage some ripe tomatoes before the year is a total washout. I remember the first year I lost all my tomato crop. I thought I would never waste my time growing those dam things again --- but that didn't happen. Keep a positive attitude always hope for the best. A successful harvest is just around the corner.
I'll keep you updated on my second planting this year. I've just set up an account on Flcker so that I can share my garden pics.
Good luck and update us on what you decide to do.
p.s.
I make sure that my plants get all the micros that I can provide them and a consistent watering/fertilizing schedule to cut down on the BER. I only had two (2) tomatoes with BER last year.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I started a few yesterday, I hope they didn't wash away in the rain last night. First real rain since the big hail storm 4 - 5 weeks ago. I put in Ztoty Zoravski, Big Cheef F7, Darth Mater, Buzua 1600, Buzua 22, Chocolate Stripes, Black and Brown Boar.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, to start from seed, I'm thinking anywhere from now to about mid-July. After that you won't have time to get much crop from them before frost.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks all I have also taken a few cutting and planted them as well.

Like I need any more tomatos. 8)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”