dssguy99
Newly Registered

Help with tomatoe cracking!

I had bought 6 early girl tomatoe plants, 6 better boy and 1 beefmaster. I am not sure whats happening, but see the attached picture. We got a lot of rain recently so I'm wondering if the rain has to do with this? The early girs are fine, they are nice and round with no cracks. All my better boys look like this. All the tomatoes on the plants split. Same with the beefmaster. Was this caused by rain? I have a drip irrigation system that I run at 7pm every night for 30 minutes (I recently shut it off during all the rain). Can someone give me any info on what may have caused this? Also, is this shape normal? They are not nice and round like my early girls.

see the picture:

Code: Select all

Link removed. Photo host does not allow you to link to photo.

Roger
Admin
HelpfulGardener.com

RickRS

I'm having a problem with my DSL so didn't get to see your photos. So, sight unseen:

Tomatoes can crack from heavy watering or from a heavy rain. Some varieties are more likely to do this than others. I tend to experience cracking more from tomatoes in the pink state than when they are green, and normally try to pick the ripe fruit when it getting ready to rain to avoid having them split. If you leave a tomato that cracks on the vine it can scab over after a few days and be fine but just not perfect looking. When pick, slice off the damaged area and enjoy the rest of the tomato. Other times it can start to rot. It depends.

Beefstake tomatoes, like your Beefmaster, will grow into a flatten, heavy indented globe that looks nothing like classic round tomato. To some, they look as ugly as sin. They taste just as wonderful, get twice as large as "normal" tomatoes, are beloved for tomato sandwiches, where a single slice will cover the entire surface of your bread. All those "defects" are reasons which to grow them.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Sorry; your link doesn't work. Please see [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=23]Helpful Gardener's Tips & Suggestions for New Members[/url], among which are guidelines for posting photos in the threads here. :)

Welcome to the Helpful Gardener; there will be help for the tomatoes!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I would normally say that is mostly due to dry plant getting a bunch of water making it's dry skin swell and crack.

But with drip irrigation that should not be the case unless the irrigation isn't putting out much or maybe you got a ton of rain real fast.

Hard to say. Try again with your pic that might help.

Good luck.

barnhardt9999

Sudden increase in soil moisture causes them to crack. On Tuesday I got about 3.5 inches of rain in 3 hours after a few weeks of being relatively dry. Even though the tomatoes are well mulched I still got some splitting. Not much you can do.

Why are you watering ever day? Unless you are container gardening, you would probably benefit by changing the schedule to every 3rd or 4th day.

MaryDel

about the only way to prevent fruits from bursting is to grow on plastic on raised mounds. this way you can much better regulate the amount of water getting to the plant.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”