teh

Tomato Problem with fruiting

Hi,

I am from Malaysia and lately it has been very hot here. I am planting my tomatoes ( sweet million) in big pots outdoor using sandy soil + vermicompost only. The flowers are being pollinated as I can see the
flower stays on while the petals of the flowers dries off. Some manage to turn into big fruits while most of them did not manage to grow. Has anyone encountered any of this problem?

thanks

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Failure to set fruit is common when temperatures reach above 90 degrees F (32 C) and stay there for a prolonged period. When temperatures move back down more fruit will begin to set.

teh

hendi_alex wrote:Failure to set fruit is common when temperatures reach above 90 degrees F (32 C) and stay there for a prolonged period. When temperatures move back down more fruit will begin to set.
Hi hendi thanks for the response. Hmm so the blossom did not drop but no fruit appear does it means it was successfully pollinated but due to the temperature fruit failed to formed?

mattie g
Green Thumb

teh wrote:Hi hendi thanks for the response. Hmm so the blossom did not drop but no fruit appear does it means it was successfully pollinated but due to the temperature fruit failed to formed?
One of the problems with high temps and humidity is that pollination cannot occur and/or fruit . There are many reasons for this, including sticky pollen or pollen sterilization.

I have some catfacing issues with two of my plants (Cherokee Purple and Valencia) right now. The fruits are a couple weeks old, and were almost certainly pollinated during a period of heat and humuidity we had during that time. Because of the weather, the flowers weren't completely pollinated, so the fruits on those specific trusses are catfaced - others that have formed since then look OK.

teh

mattie g wrote:
teh wrote:Hi hendi thanks for the response. Hmm so the blossom did not drop but no fruit appear does it means it was successfully pollinated but due to the temperature fruit failed to formed?
One of the problems with high temps and humidity is that pollination cannot occur and/or fruit . There are many reasons for this, including sticky pollen or pollen sterilization.

I have some catfacing issues with two of my plants (Cherokee Purple and Valencia) right now. The fruits are a couple weeks old, and were almost certainly pollinated during a period of heat and humuidity we had during that time. Because of the weather, the flowers weren't completely pollinated, so the fruits on those specific trusses are catfaced - others that have formed since then look OK.

Hi Mattie, thank you for the response. Ok understood so what I am facing now is too hot then I guess. Will see how to resolve the heat problem although they are under shade now.

thanks

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”