gunner1011
Newly Registered

tomato plants with early blight

I believe my tomato plants have the early blight. The leaves have brown spots on them and the they are all curled up. I have flowers on them, but they dried up too. My question is---Is it safe to plant new plants in the same soil? Thanks for any help.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

there's some good pix/info here re early/late blight:

https://organicgardening.about.com/b/2009/07/05/diagnosing-tomato-diseases-is-it-early-blight-late-blight-or-septoria.htm

the spores can stay in the soil - but I've never really seen any good info on whether they survive three years or three hundred years. so altho crop rotation is a wonderful idea, lacking acres.... I can only manage about a 3 year here-there-yonder cycle.

soil splashing on the plants is a generally cited method of infection.

as "standard practice" I mulch immediately when I set out the plants - I use spiral stakes for support - I prune off any leaves / branches close to the ground as soon as the plants "take off"

some years it "works" perfectly, other years the plants do get hit with early/late, or both.

if you are not staking - just letting them sprawl - that makes the "prevention approach" basically not applicable.

the curled up leaves may be a separate issue. there is an affliction that causes the left curl, it is often said 'looks bad but doesn't affect the yield" leave curl can also be a reaction to uneven moisture / drying out.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”