manomes

Leathery curling leaves?

On the bottom half of this plant the leaves are very thick and leathery and are many are curling up. A couple of the leaves have actually split because they're so thick and stiff. There are several flowers on the taller stalks, but none have started producing any fruit yet. Planted seedling about 6 weeks ago. It's a "Patio" determinate.

I potted three plants in organic garden soil (Miracle Gro) by mistake thinking it was potting soil, so don't know if this is the problem? The others are cherry and better boy and they seem to be doing ok.

I'm so worried about over-fertilizing that maybe I haven't used enough? Also don't know what type is best -- I have Miracle Gro tomato food, but have read mixed reviews on it. I did use it once on the plants (2 wks ago) but more diluted than the instructions indicated.

Any suggestions to save my poor little plant? Thanks!!!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I will just say that I'm not a pro disease spotter, but a pic is very neccesary for others to diagnose your problem.

Sorry for your troubles and good luck. I have had my share of problems again this year myself.

Gardening is not for the weak of heart. :wink: :cry:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like physiological leaf roll. We just had someone asking a similar question here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=261398#261398

thickened, leathery leaves is always in the description of this condition.

manomes

An update on my troubled plant....

I pruned off the worst of the stems on the lower part of the plant (the ones that hade the curling leaves I described) the day after I submitted the first post. Happy to report that it is now doing really well and has set at least 20 tomatoes. All still green and small, but I'm encouraged! :)

Wish I knew how to post pics here so I could show you!

manomes

[img]https://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/manomes/patiotomatoes.jpg[/img]

First pic! Tried to capture as many tomatoes as I could -- there are many more on the other side that I couldn't capture.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”