GWRider
Newly Registered

Fungicide - how much?

Hello,
I have a container of "Security" brand "Fungi-Gard" Fungicide that the directions are missing. The active ingredient is Chlororothalonil (Tetrachloroisophthalonitrile) 11.24%
Can antone tell me approx how much of this I need to mix per gallon of water?

Thanks in advance

Terry

P.S. This board has loads of GREAT info !

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

well personally if it were me, the answer would be none.

Check out the wiki article on Chlororothalonil:

According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, chlorothalonil is a toxicity category I eye irritant, producing severe eye irritation. It is in toxicity category II, "moderately toxic", if inhaled ... Chlorothalonil is a Group B2 "probable human carcinogen"

Chlorothalonil is highly toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates ...At a concentration of 164 µg/l, chlorothalonil was found to kill a species of frog within a 24-hour exposure

[it is quite persistent in the environment] Chlorothalonil has been detected in ambient air in Minnesota[6] and Prince Edward Island,[7] as well as in groundwater in Long Island, New York[1] and Florida.[1] ...
The main breakdown product of chlorothalonil is 4-hydroxy-2,5,6-trichloroisophthalonitrile (SDS-3701). It has been shown to be 30 times more acutely toxic than chlorothalonil and more persistent in the environment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorothalonil

There are plenty of organic, non-toxic ways of dealing with fungus problems on your plants.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I could not find anything definite, and I could not find my bottle of chlolothanolil to check concentration. A rose care site mentioned 2 Tbsp per gallon for fungi gard which sounds about right to me.

Please do not think that everyone on this forum will attack you for your legal gardening practices.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't think I was attacking, just providing information. OP can do with the information what they will.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”