JPHowell

Early Girls Ripening

Planted 10 ealry girl plants this year and they are 4 foot tall and I just noticed today my first red tomato. Anyone else getting fruit yet.

albucsfan
Cool Member

So far the only ones ripe are the Juliets.... Other 3 types have got big green ones but none blushing yet :lol:
Expected that tho... The little ones are always faster. Do you like the early girls? I only tried them once & wasn't crazy about them but I wonder if it wasn't partly a very wet spring that made them less tasty??

JPHowell

I love them.

Partly because they produce alot and are way ahead of my other plants.

[img]https://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6443/earlygirls.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No ripe tomatoes yet, just green ones, but you are in GA, so that's not a fair comparison. :) I wouldn't think in GA it would be unusual to have ripe tomatoes this time of year. I'm in Ohio, my last frost date is mid-April, and I usually get my first ripe tomatoes mid to late June. From how my tomatoes look now, I am on track for that again.

I quit growing Early Girls, because they really didn't seem to ripen up more than a few days ahead of the regular ones, but were small (sort of in between cherry tomatoes and regular ones) and not that flavorful.

JPHowell

They don't have a super acidic or heirloom tomato taste but they are 3-4 weeks ahead of my other tomatos. plus I am a dipper and battle with that pesky heartburn and they don't seem to bother me as much.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I can still remember when the Early Girl was a new introduction and featured on the cover of the Burpee catalog. I was struggling in an even more challenging tomato-growing climate than what I've got to contend with now. I was several hundred feet higher during those years.

It was difficult to resist but I can usually discount something "new & improved" for a few years :wink: . What it came down to for me at that time was just growing Sub-arctics . . . thinking about going back to that variety kind of brings on a wave of depression :roll: .

For years & years now, I've grown a few Early Girls. I have a neighbor who won't grow anything else. I can completely understand his loyalty; he's always been successful with them.

Various cherries are earlier in my garden than the Girls. That didn't used to be true, however. The only cherry that I knew about was Large Red Cherry and it couldn't beat Early Girls. But, I wouldn't want to give up the cherries that I have now. Aaand, there are a few heirlooms that are early enuf, that I can grow. Big Beef is right in there and has been almost since its introduction. Still, I'm happy to have several Early Girls and the flavor suits my tastes, as well :) .

Steve

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”