manomes

Used wrong soil? Help!

manomes wrote:Hi there -
I love growing things, but since I've moved to a smallish condo with very limited patio space everything is now grown in pots.

Hoping there are some good tomato-growers in here! I've had mostly bad luck with my potted tomatoes but not giving up. Last year the birds got most of the tomatoes that actually grew -- the plants got a disease of some kind and died early.

So my immediate problem is that I just realized after planting this year's tomatoes that I used Miracle Gro Garden Soil by mistake instead of Potting Soil :cry: . Never even read the printing, since it was chosen for me by the guy at Home Depot. Guess I didn't make it clear that the tomatoes and pots I was buying were going to be used together!! Haha. Sooo, after reading the instructions (4 weeks later) on the bag it says it has to be mixed with native soil.

Does anyone know what kind of results I'll get or help on what I should do? They seem to be growing well and look healthy - several small blossoms. By the way, it was the organic type, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any and all help!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In general garden soil (topsoil) is too heavy and dense for containers and tends to compact over time, hold too much water and exclude air.

If you just recently planted in it, you could just redo it. If the plants are good sized, fruiting, and well rooted in to the soil they are in, you probably do worse damage trying to up root them and may be stuck with it.

manomes

Thanks rainbow -- my guess is that they've probably taken pretty good root by now since they've grown considerably. Do you know of any way I could aerate if the soil gets too compact?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”