HonoluluGirl

Sweetest tomato?

Hi there. I have several family members that don't like tomatoes because they think tomatoes are sour. I don't grow tomatoes, and I know there are sweeter varieties of tomatoes out there but I don't know which ones. What is your favorite sweet tomato? Also, is there a certain way to grow tomato plants to make the fruit sweeter? I'd love to grow them. I haven't yet because my family won't eat them. But if I could find a really sweet variety, I'll give it a try. I live in Hawaii, so they'll have lots of sunshine and warm weather. I'll use them in pasta dishes and sandwiches and in salads. Thanks!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It might be necessary to grow a variety that is specific to the humid tropics. It is my understanding that tomatoes originally came from a very arid place in South America. Hawaii may require its own tomato varieties that stay healthy and produce well.

. . . Anyway :wink: , I tell people who think they don't like tomatoes to try one that isn't red. The golden cherries are especially tasty and lots of gardeners grow Sungold.

I have this serious trial going on in my garden over the last 4 or 5 years. It is to learn which is a better variety: the very popular Sungold or the Sunsugar that I've grown for about 10 years now. I figure it is going to take me about 20 years to make a decision on this . . .

Many of the modern cherries are very sweet, including red ones. I've got Super Sweet 100 and it really is an improvement on the Sweet 100's I used to grow.

There are also larger tomatoes in colors different from red and, generally, they have a different flavor. However, those cherries are especially sweet.

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Most of the red tomatoes that you will find in the garden centers will not be sweet even if you grow them yourself but theywill be better than store bought. Pink heirloom varieties will be on the 'not acid' side for the most part.

Off the top of my head Goose Creek (pink), and Soldacki are excelletn sweetish eating tomatoes. For cherry tomatoes, Sungold and Pink Ping Pong are sweet. Stay away from commercial red cherries and go for the green, yellow and orange varieties. Having sead that Hawaiian/Hawaiian Currant is a good sweet red cherry.

In Hawaii you might have access to Japanese hybrids such as Momotaro (and Sungold). I think that Momotaro was recenty replaced/upgraded/renamed, but I'm not sure. I little digging on the internet should get you details on that. From what I understand the Japanese breeders like sweet tomatoes.

I found that the malic/citric acid flavor (like Sweet-Tarts candy or an orange) increased when I added a lot of potassium to the soil and that gave some of my sweet tomatoes like brandywine a tangy quality, but that is different from what I call a low sweetness 'acid' tomato.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

A tomato's flavor comes mostly from the balance between sugar and acid in the fruit. So if you buy any variety that is 'low acid' the fruit should taste sweeter. As the previous poster suggested, yellow tomatoes tend to be low acid therefore much sweeter tasting. I just went to tomatogrowers.com and searched "low acid". The first page of results is dominated by yellow fruited varieties. Other searches within the site that gave promising results were 'high sugar tomato' and 'sweet tomato'.

Here is the link to the home page but you will need to type in the search info:

[url]https://www.tomatogrowers.com/Tomatoes/departments/1/[/url]
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

HonoluluGirl

Thank you Alex, TZ-OH6, and Steve! Thanks for your advice and suggestions. I searched the tomatogrowers.com website - wow, so many to choose from! Ooooo, I just did a google search on Momotaro Tomato and they look yummy. The Sungold also looks yummy. I still need to google the other varieties you all listed. I also found a tomato tasting website: https://www.thisgardenisillegal.com/category/tomato-tastings.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I like the pine apple tomato the best. Very sweet and bi color red and orange. They get a nice size. I order the seeds pecial this year and will have plenty to give away the end of this year! This will fit in with all the pine apples there already and maybe your friends will try them!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

SilverAngel49
Newly Registered

For sweet I have found for red the Celebrity to be fairly sweet. also I love black and purpule varities for the tatse. A friend of mine wouldn;t eat tomatoes until I started to grow black and purple types. they are in love with the black cherry. :)

woof99
Newly Registered

Pineapple is my favorite for a large sized tomato. I did find a cherry tomato 2 years ago at a local farmers market. It is small and brown tinged... yummiest tomato I have ever had and so I have been growing them now! Unfortunately I have no idea what it's name is. The amazing thing about tomatoes... you have so many options!

luvthesnapper

Park seed sells the "Sweet Million Hybrid", that is pretty darn sweet. Grew them 2 years ago, and not only are they sweet, the yield is high. It's a red cherry style tomato.

They also sell the "Tomato Sugary", which scores a 9.5 on the brix scale. Never grew them, but that seems pretty high for a tomato. Of course your results will vary depending on your soil etc., but I imagine you could get close.

Spyderco1116

hendi_alex wrote:A tomato's flavor comes mostly from the balance between sugar and acid in the fruit. So if you buy any variety that is 'low acid' the fruit should taste sweeter. As the previous poster suggested, yellow tomatoes tend to be low acid therefore much sweeter tasting. I just went to tomatogrowers.com and searched "low acid". The first page of results is dominated by yellow fruited varieties. Other searches within the site that gave promising results were 'high sugar tomato' and 'sweet tomato'.

Here is the link to the home page but you will need to type in the search info:

[url]https://www.tomatogrowers.com/Tomatoes/departments/1/[/url]

Which yellow tomato do you think would do best in a 5 gallon container? I was looking on the site you put up and may want to try one. Thanks!
In God We Trust... In others we don't... Hence the 2nd Amendment!

For those who believe no explanation is necessary... for those who do not none will suffice.... "Joe Dunninger"

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I don't grow yellow tomatoes, but would either opt for a determinate variety or if selecting an indeterminate variety would prune it to a central leader, removing all of the suckers. I believe that a tomato is likely to do better in a five gallon bucket that has been converted to a self watering container. There is a currently a thread where this kind of self watering bucket is being discussed.

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41858[/url]
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Spyderco1116

hendi_alex wrote:I don't grow yellow tomatoes, but would either opt for a determinate variety or if selecting an indeterminate variety would prune it to a central leader, removing all of the suckers. I believe that a tomato is likely to do better in a five gallon bucket that has been converted to a self watering container. There is a currently a thread where this kind of self watering bucket is being discussed.

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41858[/url]
I already have a few plants in 5 gallon self-watering buckets. (the 2 bucket system) I'll check out the different variaties. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!!
In God We Trust... In others we don't... Hence the 2nd Amendment!

For those who believe no explanation is necessary... for those who do not none will suffice.... "Joe Dunninger"

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”