cougar14
Newly Registered

Why do my Tomatoes have small fruit?

I have tried to grow tomatoes for years, but can't seem to get things right. The most common problem is small fruit. I get lots of fruit, lots of plant growth, and regardless of the variety, the fruit stops growing, ripens, and I have a ton of tomatoes the size of a kiwi fruit. They taste wonderful, but I want a slicer that covers a hamburger. I fertilize with Miraclegro, water every day when it's really hot. Any tips? Thanks!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

What variety of tomato are you trying to grow?

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

stop fertilizing with miracle grow your first tip. Next grow your soil build a great soil start in the fall with good materials lots of compost and rock dust. next learn how to pinch the suckers off your tomatoes this will help with the size of your tomatoes more than anything you can do this year.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

use compost tea.. it so way better for all your plants instead of miracle grow. miracle grow makes your soil too acidic.

mattie g
Green Thumb

SPierce wrote:What variety of tomato are you trying to grow?
I think this is the big question.

If you have a "ton of fruit" the size of a kiwi, it sounds like you're growing a cherry variety.

cougar14
Newly Registered

I have 4 plants, two Big Beef, one Celebrity, and one Ace. I also water with well water which is pretty hard. I've also noticed that the stems don't seem to get very thick, kind of spindly.

Thanks for all your replies, I'm sure I'll get this figured out.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The spindliiness sounds like an issue of how they got started. Did you start these from seed yourself or buy them as transplants?

They may have been a little leggy starting out, from too much heat/ not enough light. Starting the seedlings it helps to put a fan on them sometimes or shake the plants a little. Being moved around as they would be naturally outdoors, helps sturdy up the stems. Also when you plant tomatoes, you should always plant them deeper than they were in the pot. They will develop more roots all along the buried stem, which makes them healthier. If you didn't do that, you still can - don't dig them up at this point, but hill them up a bit, bury the bottom part of the stem.

cougar14
Newly Registered

I'll work on weeding out the suckers, and hilling up the stalks a bit. Regarding watering, I water about the drip line of the whole plant, is this right?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”