Susa

What Tomato Varieties are Sweeter & Less Acidic?

We ate our first fully ripened tomato today. A Cherokee Purple. Afterwards I developed some blisters? on my tongue from the acid! This used to happen if I ate too many cherry tomatoes in one sitting, but it's the first from just half of a tomato. Are Cherokees more acidic or can that be affected by other factors like temperatures, water, etc.?? What varieties are sweeter? We're also growing wild cherry tomatoes which are also tasting pretty acidic compared to sore bought! Humpf.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Susa,

Cherokee Purple actually are less acidic then most, actually on the sweeter side, buttery smooth. If these affect you so much, not even sure what to suggest. Some of the least acidic tomatoes (taste wise) would be anything (for the most part) that is considered to be "White Tomato".

While none of them are really white, more like very pale yellow, these type are usually the most mild tasting... Something like White Queen, Great White, White Oxheart... Also, many Eastern European oxheart varieties are on the lesser acidic side, but more sweet than others, like Anna Russian, Shapka Monomakha, Pink Oxheart (Russia Origin).

Best of luck to you!

Regards,
D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”