AnimalBabe

Pests on tomatoes?

So the leaves on mainly my roma tomatoes so far are getting up, seems to be pretty circular holes in the middle of leaves are are mainly towards the bottom. Was looking at an older post and think it may be slugs. How harmful are these suckers and do I need to do anything about them? I read something about burying a can filled with beer near the surface, what are other remedies?

Also, found a lot of very tiny white spiders on the undersides of leaves. Should I get rid of them and how?

Finally, yes I have aphids! I tried spraying them and will do so again every day for the next few days, hoping that will wash most away. Otherwise, is insecticidal soap the next best remedy? Any particular kind you recommend?
Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, probably slugs and yes, they can do an amazing amount of damage. Insecticidal soap probably won't work against them, since they aren't insects.

Slug control: Diatomaceous earth works against them. People swear by beer traps, but it hasn't worked for me. Putting anything sharp/rough down, like broken egg shells, lava rock, etc keeps them from crawling over it. Laying a board down flat on the ground works as a trap for them. Flip it over in the daytime and they will be hiding there for you to get rid of.

Or you can get really hard core (I just "graduated" to this!), go out at night with a flashlight. You will be able to find them crawling over your produce. Scrape them off with the edge of your trowel (I tried spaghetti tongs for grabbing them, but it didn't work real well) and dump them into salted water.

AnimalBabe

Thanks, rainbowgardener..may be a very dumb question, but when you say put a board down, are you talking wood, or could I put down a piece of cardboard or anything like that to attract them?

Also, any advice on the white spiders?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”